BT Cellnet and Research In Motion Limited (RIM) announced today at Networks 2000 in the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham that they will be working together to offer the BlackBerry(tm) wireless email solution to BT Cellnet corporate customers in the UK. BlackBerry will support both Microsoft(r) Exchange and Lotus Notes(r) environments and will operate over BT Cellnet's new GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) high speed network. Customer trials in the UK are expected to begin later this year.
BlackBerry is a complete, secure, integrated wireless email solution designed for mobile professionals. BlackBerry offers a proven, award-winning solution that features a unique wireless handheld device with a large screen, easy-to-use keyboard and embedded wireless modem. The BlackBerry solution combines the advanced wireless handheld with desktop PC utilities, enterprise server software and tight integration with wireless data networks such as BT Cellnet's new GPRS network. The GPRS standard and the BlackBerry solution were both designed to enable "always-on" operation and allow users to maintain a virtual connection to the wireless network. With BlackBerry, customers enjoy a completely integrated, secure, end-to-end solution that provides easy-to-use, mobile access to their corporate email system wherever they go. BlackBerry is already well-established in North America where it was introduced in 1999.
Peter Richardson, sales and marketing director of BT Cellnet, commented, "We are pleased to be the first mobile operator to introduce RIM's wireless email solutions to corporate customers. Mobile email connectivity and integration are vital for business users. The unique merits of BlackBerry demonstrate BT Cellnet's commitment to providing the best applications available to take advantage of the high speed GPRS network."
"The convergence of Internet and wireless technologies with business applications is an unmistakable trend that will fundamentally impact the way we work. BT Cellnet's decision to invest early in GPRS technology will pay dividends as customers recognise and embrace the potential of the wireless Internet," said Mike Lazaridis, president and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "We look forward to working with BT Cellnet and its corporate customers to deploy proven wireless email solutions in the nearer term while continuously helping to drive the evolution of computing and communications technologies for the longer term."
Key Features of the BlackBerry Wireless Email Solution:
- Advanced wireless handhelds - slim and lightweight with large (16 or 20-line) screen, thumb-operated keyboard and trackwheel; embedded wireless modem (no external antenna needed), plus integrated email and organizer software.
- Single mailbox integration with corporate email systems - allows users to keep their existing email address and manage one single mailbox.
- Powerful email features - read, originate, forward, reply, delete or file messages using the wireless handheld (inbox and folders are synchronized between the wireless handheld and PC); user-selectable message filters allow user to control email flow.
- Full-featured connected organizer - includes calendar, address book, task list, memo pad, calculator and alarm; synchronizes with PC using docking cradle and Puma Technology's award-winning Intellisync(tm) software.
- 'Always On, Always Connected' - designed to operate 24 hours per day while remaining connected to the wireless network to allow easy notification of incoming email; uses "push model" of email delivery; email automatically finds the user; no dialing-in; no initiating connections; no effort required.
- End-to-end security - email is encrypted using Triple DES and remains encrypted at all points between the PC (or server) and wireless handheld; meets strict corporate security guidelines for company-confidential information.
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server - enterprise server software provides centralized management and control with a scalable architecture.
- End-to-end solution - customers receive easy-to-use wireless handhelds, productive desktop utilities, innovative server software and nationwide airtime on a leading network in one completely integrated solution.