"United Airlines (NYSE: UAL) today announced the enhancement of United Update(SM), a suite of applications designed to keep travelers informed, with Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) capabilities that can be accessed through any WAP-enabled device. Travelers looking for flight and travel information can access this wireless feature at either UA#2go.com or mobile.united.com.
"United Update can now be accessed by WAP-enabled devices, enabling travelers to:
* Check on the status of a United Airlines flight. Travelers can enter the flight number and airport information and get the current status and gate information for any flight. They will know if a flight has departed, is arriving on time, ahead-of-schedule, has been delayed or cancelled.
* Get flight availability for United Airlines flights. Travelers can enter the origin and destination airports and be able to immediately see United's actual flight schedules, including the classes of service available, the on-time performance for that route and the type of plane that will be used on that flight.
* Get real-time Mileage Plus(tm) summary information. Travelers who are members of United Airlines Mileage Plus program can access their accounts from anywhere in order to check the status of their frequent-flier miles.
* Register for United's Proactive Paging Service. Travelers who register for this benefit will be sent their flight status directly back to their phone which includes confirmation that their flight is on time, information on what gate it will be departing from, as well as notification if a flight is delayed or cancelled.
* Contact United. Travelers will have the ability to directly talk to a United Airlines service representative. This removes the need to remember phone numbers and help direct the traveler to the correct representative.
"United Update is the only WAP phone application in the industry that has the capability to extend a pro-active paging service to their passengers -- a convenient and reliable resource for any business or leisure traveler," said Dan Black, director of e-commerce systems for United Airlines. "With United Update, our customers can access their flight information and see how many Mileage Plus credits they've earned on any WAP-enabled cell phone or wireless handheld computer that runs on Palm(TM) OS."
Since the introduction of United's Proactive Paging Service more than 90,000 people have been paged, receiving valuable information including reassurance that their flight is on time and what gate it will leave from and also alerting them to situations in which a flight has been delayed or cancelled.
These wireless features also provide tremendous convenience to the families and co-workers of travelers. Anyone can enable the proactive paging service to send a notification if a flight has been delayed or cancelled. Additionally, they will be able to find out up-to-the-minute flight status information, including arrival and departure gates, saving time and avoiding confusion when making an airport pick-up or drop-off. The paging can be activated through a WAP-enabled cell phone, a Palm handheld computer or at the United Airline's website, http://www.united.com.
United plans to expand its wireless capabilities to include the ability to book new flights and make changes to those previously booked.