Sprint (NYSE: FON, PCS) and Sanyo Fisher Company today announce the availability of the Sanyo 8100, the latest addition to Picture Mail from Sprint, an all-inclusive wireless pictures product that allows PCS customers to point, click and share pictures instantly anywhere on the enhanced Sprint Nationwide PCS Network. The Sanyo 8100 features a built-in camera with voice message capability, fun frames, selectable shutter sound that says "Say Cheese!," two full-color TFT screens and an affordable price that will allow customers to share life's everyday moments with family and friends instantly through sight and sound. Images with voice messages can be sent to any PCS Vision Phone or to e-mail addresses, for instant sharing nationwide. And sharing is made even easier by enabling customers to send a picture to up to ten recipients at one time directly from their phone book. The Sanyo 8100 will be available in three stylish colors Silver, Navy/Gold, or Pearl White/Lavender.
"Sprint and Sanyo were the first to introduce a wireless phone with a built-in camera in the United States. Sprint will clearly continue this leadership with more built-in camera phones that appeal to all ages and budgets. The Sanyo 8100 will be the centerpiece of the Sprint camera phone line-up and we wouldn't be surprised if it became the largest selling phone in Sprint's history," said Len Lauer, president of the PCS Division of Sprint. "PCS' new Picture Mail product is an affordable, simple package that will make communicating via pictures a common way for family and friends to instantly stay in touch. And with the new Picture Mail service enhancements and the optimized capabilities of the 8100 due to the 6000 chipset series from Qualcomm, staying in touch through pictures has never been easier."
"As the first wireless phone manufacturer to bring a built-in camera phone to the U.S. market and the recipient of the J.D. Power and Associates customer satisfaction award, Sanyo is proud to introduce exciting new functionality, fashion and affordability to this rapidly growing category," said Atsushi Kodera, group vice president, general manager of Sanyo Fisher Company's Wireless Communications Division. "Now even more consumers can enjoy taking and instantly sharing digital images, and with the 8100, Sprint and Sanyo give users the unique opportunity to share their memories on-the-go in a combined sight and sound experience. Sanyo played a significant role in the fast-growing success of the Asian camera phone market. We are proud to partner with Sprint to apply that experience in the U.S."
The Sanyo 8100 is the first phone to feature the new 6000 series Qualcomm chipset which improves data services and sending and receiving of pictures. Customers will see this after taking a picture using the 8100 and being instantly placed into "share" mode, making them just clicks away from sharing life's everyday moments. The 1.8-inch internal TFT LCD supports 65,536 colors and provides a rich, compelling experience when viewing photos, screen savers, animated ringers and games. The 1-inch external TFT 65,536-color LCD offers users the convenience of Caller ID for quickly identifying incoming calls by their number, or Photo-Caller ID, for instantaneously identifying incoming calls by viewing a previously selected image of the caller that has been linked to the handset's internal phone book. The full-color external screen is also a perfect viewer for taking self-portraits when the phone is closed.
The PCS Phone by Sanyo 8100 is available in Sprint Stores, RadioShack, Best Buy and Circuit City for $99.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate (regular suggested retail price of $199.99). Offer is available to customers who activate a new line of PCS service. Existing customers who do not wish to add a new line of service may be eligible for other savings offers at Sprint Stores -- check your local Sprint Store for more information.
Specific product features of the Sanyo 8100 include:
* Camera built-in: 100K Pixels
* Attach 10-second voice message and text message to your picture
* Camera Resolution: 352w x 288h
* Options: Self-timer (10 sec, 5 sec, Off), 5 Fun Frames, Color Tone ( Normal, Sepia, Black and White, Negative), Brightness (Auto, Manual) Shutter Sound (Default, Say 'Cheez', Off)
* Photo Storage (Review Mode): CIF: at least 11
* Photo Storage (Picture Wallet): up to 60 (120 W x 112 H)
Photo Enhancement Options:
* Upload/Share: Capture photo in Review Mode can be shared, and can be uploaded to Pictures account at PCS Vision Pictures web site, www.picturemail.sprintpcs.com
* Assign Photo: Captured photo in Picture Wallet can be assigned for Incoming Calls, Screen Saver, and Phone Book entries.
* Online Pictures: Access the PCS Vision Pictures web site to manage and view online photo album
* Audio Attachment: Attach a 10-second voice message to your picture
* Availability to receive calls while in Camera mode
* Main LCD: 65,536-color, 1.8-inch TFT External LCD: 65,536-color, 1-inch TFT
* Dual Band/Tri Mode PCS Phone
* Java-ready (J2MEE MIDlet)
* Weight: 3.88 oz. with standard Lithium Ion battery attached
* Dimensions: 3.33" H x 1.86" W x 1.14" D
* Expected battery life: The 8100 comes packaged with a standard 1000mAh Lithium Ion battery providing up to 2.8 hours talk and 10.7 days standby in digital mode, and 1.4 hours talk and 14 hours standby in analog mode
* Advanced 32-chord polyphonic melodies
* Built-in Answering Machine: Allows the user to listen in as the caller leaves a message; in addition the user is able to answer the call anytime while the caller leaves their message
* Multiple Language: supports voice and text prompts in English and Spanish
* Calculator, World Clock
Sprint recently announced 1.3 million PCS Vision subscribers through the end of first quarter 2003. Sprint leads the industry in the use of advanced data services. PCS Vision from Sprint includes services that allow customers to take and receive pictures from select PCS Phones; browse the Internet at speeds faster than most dial-up connections; check personal and corporate e-mail; watch clips and stream audio for news and music; download polyphonic, animated and voice ringers, and full-color, graphically-rich games and screen savers, all on the enhanced Nationwide PCS Network.
The PCS Phone by Sanyo 8100 specifically supports the following PCS Vision applications:
Picture Mail -- Taking pictures and instantly sharing them with family and friends has never been easier. Just point, click and share.
Web -- Stay informed while on the go with full-color graphic versions of popular Internet sites.
Games -- Graphically enhanced single and multi player games provide hours of entertainment on your PCS Vision Phone.
Ringers -- Sprint was the first to offer polyphonic ringtones and now, with Vision-enabled PCS Phones from Sprint, users can express even more personality with hundreds of unique downloadable polyphonic, animated, and voice ringers, including the latest music releases, showtunes and sound effects that can be assigned to specific numbers in the address book.
Messaging -- PCS Vision gives you more ways to keep in touch than ever. Using Messaging from Sprint, you can send and receive email and exchange text messages -- even join a chat room.
Screen Savers -- PCS Vision allows customers to personalize their wireless service by wirelessly downloading screen savers right from their phone, many featuring synchronized animation.
Editor's note -- click below for a MobileTechNews review of the Sanyo 8100: