Openwave Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: OPWV), the leading independent provider of open software products and services for the mobile communications industry, today announced the launch of Openwave(r) Mobile Messaging Client Version 6.0. Designed to drive mobile data usage by providing a common user experience across messaging, browsing, calendar, address book and other phone applications, the Openwave Mobile Messaging Client offers a flexible and feature rich solution enabling operators to offer services such as photo messaging, personalized web applications, and rich third party content. Openwave Mobile Messaging Client Version 6.0 is built upon Openwave MMS Toolkit technology at the heart of over two million MMS handsets to date.
Handset manufacturers that port Openwave Mobile Browser Version 6.0 today can easily integrate Openwave Mobile Messaging Client now, and seamlessly upgrade to Openwave Mobile Messaging Client Version 7.0, an integrated part of the recently announced Openwave(r) Phone Tools V7.
Agere Systems, a leading provider of integrated chips and software for wireless communications, is an early licensee of Openwave Mobile Messaging Client. Agere has licensed this messaging solution to add to its leading software offering for GPRS handset manufacturers. Agere is an existing licensee of Openwave Mobile Brower.
"The popularity of sending messages of all sorts from today's mass market phones signifies the power of communicating with more than your voice," said Thomas Reardon, vice president and general manager, Openwave. "Openwave Mobile Messaging Client was designed first with the subscriber in mind and enables whole new sets of easy to use messaging services."
"Openwave Mobile Messaging Client rounds out Agere's proven GPRS software solution for high-performance multimedia phones by bringing enhanced messaging capabilities," said Luc Seraphin, vice president of Agere's mobile terminals division. "Agere's comprehensive GSM/GPRS communication engine provides wireless handset manufacturers with high-demand, easy-to-implement applications for their mobile phone designs."
To deliver a complete, end-to-end software solution for operators, Openwave Mobile Messaging Client works seamlessly with Openwave MMSC, which offers operators the flexibility they need to launch highly differentiated services. In addition to the Openwave MMSC, the Openwave Mobile Messaging Client interoperates with a broad set of industry standard MMSCs from CMG, Ericsson, Nokia and others. This interoperability promotes more rapid delivery of compatible MMS services to wireless operators and their subscribers. Openwave Mobile Browser has shipped in over 380 million handsets of 45 manufacturers worldwide equaling more than 50 percent of all data enabled phones.
About Openwave Mobile Messaging Client Version 6.0
Openwave Mobile Messaging Client Version 6.0 brings new efficiencies and capabilities to manufacturers, which include:
* Allowing manufacturers to use one piece of software for WAP 2.0 and MMS which reduces integration efforts for existing Openwave Mobile Browser customers, enabling a smaller software footprint in the handset over multi-vendor solutions as well as faster time-to-market
* Most interoperable, ubiquitously tested network software technology allowing users the ability to send and receive messages to the widest variety of phones, across networks and operators, due to Openwave client software incumbency
* The easiest way for users to send and receive messages containing text, images, sound, and other media types
* Support of both MMS SMIL slideshows and XHTML Mobile Profile messages, and compliance with the latest standards from 3GPP and OMA (Open Mobile Alliance)
* Design with the end user in mind, featuring an easy to use, WSYIWYG interface
* Consistent interface across phone address books, file stores and photo applications on today's mobile phones