Research In Motion (RIM) today announced availability of its newest BlackBerry(r) handhelds to mobile professionals in the United Kingdom. The BlackBerry 7230(tm) and BlackBerry 6230(tm) support worldwide international roaming* on GSM/GPRS networks and deliver email, phone, SMS, browser and organizer applications.
The BlackBerry 7230 features a crisp, high-resolution color screen and the BlackBerry 6230 incorporates a high-contrast monochrome screen. Both of the new BlackBerry handhelds are compact and lightweight with superior battery performance, making them ideal for mobile use.
The new, Java(tm)-based handhelds are available in the United Kingdom as part of T-Mobile International's retail launch of BlackBerry for professional consumers. The BlackBerry 7230, BlackBerry 6230 and professional consumer service offering were unveiled by RIM and T-Mobile in Germany and Austria on June 2. Details of pricing and roaming services are available from T-Mobile International.
"RIM is committed to delivering the best combined data and voice experience for mobile professionals," said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "Our powerful BlackBerry handhelds are easy to use and can provide a wireless extension to one or more existing email accounts, in addition to support for phone, SMS, web and organiser applications. We are pleased to introduce the BlackBerry 7230/6230 with T-Mobile International to professional consumers and small businesses in the UK."
"We are continuing to be a 'connected' society; email is becoming as essential as the ability to make a mobile phone call. T-Mobile is committed to making the workplace wireless, focusing on the small business and 'prosumer' market as a core element in our mobile data strategy," said Nikesh Arora, Chief Marketing Officer for T-Mobile International.
Introducing the BlackBerry 7230 and 6230
* Ideal for mobile professionals who want to manage all of their important information and communications from a single, integrated handheld.
* Send and receive email and SMS messages on the go with the easy-to-use 'thumb-typing' keyboard and navigation trackwheel.
* A wireless extension to existing mailboxes with support for up to 10 corporate and personal email accounts from a single handheld (including: popular Internet Service Provider (ISP), Microsoft(r) Exchange, and/or IBM Lotus(r) Domino(tm) email accounts).
* Push-based wireless architecture means that messages are delivered automatically; there is no need to dial in.
* Users can also read and forward important email attachments from their BlackBerry handheld (including: Microsoft(r) Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe PDF).
* Support for international roaming (on 900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS networks) enables mobile professionals to use one handheld while travelling with no need to change their phone number or email addresses.
* Both the screen and keyboard are backlit for easy reading and typing during day or night.
* Handhelds include 16 MB flash memory plus 2 MB SRAM, rechargeable/removable lithium battery and Universal Serial Bus (USB) connectivity for quick battery charging.
* Pocket-sized, lightweight and ergonomic handheld design, with an embedded RIM wireless modem and internal high performance antenna.
The BlackBerry 7230 and BlackBerry 6230 are the newest handhelds supported by the multifaceted BlackBerry wireless platform. BlackBerry incorporates the industry's best hardware, software and services together with Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME) and leading GSM/GPRS wireless networks to provide unique, seamless wireless data access for mobile professionals.
* Check with carrier for GSM/GPRS roaming arrangements