Now with one voice command, users can have their signal strength, battery level, roaming status and even their own phone number read aloud through the earpiece of the new PCS Vision Phone VI660 by Samsung. Wireless industry leaders Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung) and Sprint, which operates the largest all-digital, all-PCS nationwide network, today announced the availability of the VI660 wireless phone, revolutionizing voice-activated command standards to provide users full flexibility in a hands-free, eyes-free environment. The VI660 is now available nationwide in Sprint Stores and online at www.sprintpcs.com for $79.99 with a two-year agreement (suggested retail price $229.99).
The VI660 features a plethora of advanced technologies -- most notably Voice Signal's Voice-Activated Status feature, enabling users to view and hear updates to signal strength and battery life with simple voice commands and voice input. Based on Voice Signal's speaker-independent recognition and speech synthesis technology, users need only speak simple commands into the VI660 to retrieve critical information and dial the phone. In addition, Voice Signal's Voice-Activated Phonebook (VAP) allows users to dial any contact in the handset's phonebook without prior training or enrollment. The VI660's Digit Dial feature allows users to dial any number, whether it's stored in the phonebook or not, simply by saying the number naturally and continuously. Together, Voice Signal's VAP, Digit Dial and Voice-Activated Status features provide an overall solution for users to easily operate the VI660 handset.
"The VI660 by Samsung offers customers incredible advances at an affordable price," said John Garcia, vice president of sales and distribution for Sprint. "As the first phone in the U.S. to offer enhanced voice-activated features it is ideal for quick, one-command access to key features such as dialing directly from the phone book or getting battery life. In addition to all of this, the VI660 supports PCS Vision applications such as ringers, screen savers, games, multimedia and more. This combination makes the VI660 the clear choice for any customer looking for an affordably sophisticated, but easy-to-use, phone."
"Samsung is the number one wireless handset manufacturer in terms of customer loyalty according to Brand Keys, a position we intend to maintain by developing phones that fit consumers' diverse and evolving communication needs," said Peter Skarzynski, senior vice president of Samsung's wireless terminals division. "Samsung has developed the user-friendly VI660 as a flexible, functional and stylish communication and entertainment device, meeting the demands of Sprint's customers who find themselves constantly on-the-go."
"Voice Signal is excited to partner with technology market leaders Sprint and Samsung to deliver applications that will greatly simplify the way consumers interact with wireless phones and devices," said Rich Geruson, CEO of Voice Signal. "The opportunities for voice-activated solutions in hands-free and eyes-free environments are tremendous, and we will continue to lead the market with our partners by developing leading-edge technologies for the consumer."
Reinforcing the VI660's flexibility is the availability of the PCS Game Pad accessory which combined with the phone's vibrant 65K-color STN display, provides users a robust gaming experience. Similar to the Samsung A600 and A620 PCS Game Pads, the VI660's Game Pad converts the wireless handset into a mobile gaming console, mirroring the look and feel of home game console controls.
Features of the PCS Vision Phone VI660 include:
* Voice-Activated Status: With one voice command, users can have their signal strength, battery level, roaming status, and even their own phone number read aloud through the earpiece.
* Voice Activated Dialing and Navigation: Combining speech recognition and synthesized text-to-speech output, the Voice Signal application enables users to dial the phone and check status without having to use their hands or look at the display, enabling a full range of activities in a varying environments.
* Digit Dial: Allows users to dial any number, including those not in the contact list, by speaking the numbers, with no speech training required.
* Voice-Activated Phonebook (VAP): Voice activates every name in the handset's phonebook with no training or enrollment required. Users can dial any phonebook entry by voice, or search the phonebook by voice to look up contact information.
* Sleek Clamshell Design: 3.3" x 1.8" x .87" and 3.17 ounces with a standard battery
* Main Color Screen: Brilliant 65,000-color, Super Twisted Nematic (STN) screen
* High-Speed Internet Access: Quickly download personalized content such as ringers, wallpapers, games and screensavers via the WAP 2.0 browser.
* Personal Organizer: The built-in organizer manages calendars and contact lists, and can be synchronized with your PC. The organizer also has voice memo, alarm clock, task list and calculator features.
* PCS Game Pad Accessory: Attach the VI660 into the Samsung Game Pad console (sold separately) and it becomes a mobile gaming device.
* Dual-Band/Tri-Mode: Use the VI660 on the Sprint PCS Nationwide Network or while roaming.
* Talk Time: The standard lithium ion battery provides 3.4 hours of digital talk time and seven days of standby time.
* PCS Vision Capable: Picture Mail, Messaging, Games, Ringers, Screen Savers, Web, PCS Business Connection