NTT DoCoMo, Inc. announced today that the P900i, the third handset in the new 3G FOMA 900i series, will be released on February 29, 2004.
The 900i series, the most advanced series of FOMA i-mode mobile phones ever released, features a Macromedia Flash(tm)-equipped browser, HTML e-mail and avatar-capable videophone. Compared with the original series of FOMA phones, 900i models offer three times longer standby and weigh 20 percent less. The just-released 900i series is expected to fuel a sharp increase in FOMA subscribers, which has already exceeded 2 million.
The main features of the FOMA P900i include:
* 10 interchangeable decorative jackets (1 equipped with phone; 9 more optional).
* CCD external camera with 1.28 mega-pixel effective resolution (1.23 recorded resolution), capable of taking up to SXGA (1,280 x 960) photos. Includes 10-power, 30-step digital zoom and auto focus.
* Full version of "FINAL FANTASY", a popular role-playing game from Square Enix Co., Ltd.
* Connects to compatible TVs, where still photos may be viewed and videos taken by the handset and saved on miniSD(tm) memory card may be played. Also allows content to be played that has been taken by a compatible video device and saved onto a miniSD memory card.
* Takes/sends still photos as i-mode mail attachments while making voice calls, which the receiver can also view during the conversation.
The P900i, like other 900i models, is equipped with a Macromedia Flash browser to enjoy rich content enhanced with highly fluid animation. It handles Flash applications of up to 100K (compared to 20K in 2G mova 505i series). It also is equipped for richer, more sophisticated online games than ever before. Java-based i-appli(tm) applications offer a 400K scratch pad and up to 100K for content/archiving (compared to 200K and 30K in existing FOMA models).
All 900i series handsets have high-resolution cameras ranging up to two mega pixels and a slot for either a MemoryStick Duo(tm) or miniSD memory card (depending on the model).
The P900i will be available through all DoCoMo Kanto-Koshinetsu area sales channels on February 29th. The other eight regional subsidiaries will decide timing in their respective regions. The price of the handset, including a 16 MB miniSD memory card and one interchangeable decorative jacket, will be open (unfixed). The standard accessory kit, including battery pack, AC adapter and desktop holder, will cost 3,500 yen. The optional interchangeable decorative jackets cost 800 yen each.