NTT DoCoMo, Inc. and eight regional subsidiaries announced today that the SH900i, the fourth handset in the new 3G FOMA(r) 900i series, will be released on March 20, 2004.
The 900i series, the most advanced series of FOMA i-mode(r) mobile phones ever released, features a Macromedia(r) Flash-equipped browser, HTML e-mail and avatar-capable videophone. Compared with the original series of FOMA phones, 900i models offer three times longer standby and weigh 20 percent less. The just-released 900i series is expected to fuel a sharp increase in FOMA subscribers.
The main features of the FOMA SH900i include:
1. CCD camera with 2.02 mega-pixel effective resolution and 2 mega-pixel recorded resolution. Takes max. 2 mega-dot (1,224 x 1,632) photos. Auto focus works even with close-ups.
2. 20x digital zoom. Takes up to 25 continuous photos. Bracket Multishot takes up to nine continuous photos in different hues. Overlap Multishot overlaps five continuous photos for composite images.
3. Document Viewer that reads e-mail stored in miniSD(tm) memory card and files made with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft
Powerpoint, PDF, etc.
4. Close-up photos of written material (approx. 60 alphanumeric characters) that may be read, converted (via OCR) and stored as phone numbers, e-mail addresses or URLs.
5. Voice recorder that enables up to 120 minutes of voice recorded on a 16 MB miniSD card.
6. Function enabling menu operation and e-mail access via sub-display even when handset is closed.
The SH900i, like other 900i models, is equipped with a Macromedia Flash browser to enjoy rich content enhanced with highly fluid animation. It handles Flash applications of up to 100K (compared to 20K in 2G mova 505i series). It also is equipped for richer, more sophisticated online games than ever before. Java-based i-appli(tm) applications offer a 400K scratch pad and up to 100K for content/archiving (compared to 200K and 30K in existing FOMA models).
NTT DoCoMo will expand its 3G FOMA service area to 99.9% of populated areas in the Kanto-Koshinetsu region by the end of March 2004.
The SH900i will be available through NTT DoCoMo's all sales channels on March 20. The price of the handset, including a 16 MB miniSD memory card will be open (unfixed). The standard accessory kit, including battery pack, AC adapter and desktop holder, will cost 3,500 yen.