QUALCOMM Incorporated announced the Convergence Platform - three chipset solutions that address all major 3G air interfaces - to incorporate popular digital electronics functionalities into wireless devices. The Mobile Station Modem(tm) (MSM) MSM7200(tm), MSM7500(tm) and MSM7600(tm) solutions will enable portable business, high-fidelity entertainment, interactive 3D gaming and other "always with you" features, all easily integrated into communications devices to leverage the convenience of wireless.
Converged wireless devices powered by QUALCOMM's new chipset platform will extend usage time to allow consumers to play the latest 3D online games, stay in touch with friends through instantaneous picture and video mail, capture live video of vacation memories, keep on track with interactive GPS and listen to MP3 tunes, as well as maintain contact with the office. Enterprise users can increase productivity with high-resolution functionality for wireless PC synchronization, file attachment viewing and editing, advanced security and more, acting as a wireless office.
The Convergence Platform inspires new and creative "always with you" devices - morphing wireless communications into popular consumer electronics products:
* Up to 6.0 megapixel digital camera support and image processing
* VGA 30 fps (frames per second) digital VGA video record and playback
* 4M triangles per second 3D graphics acceleration
* High-fidelity digital stereo audio record and playback
* Imaging, video and graphics-enhanced location-based services with gpsOne(tm) technology
* VGA resolution color LCDs
* Standard TV-interface to view images, watch video or play games
* Integrated serial Mobile Display Digital Interface (MDDI) for optimized communication between the MSM and the LCD panel
All three chipsets in QUALCOMM's Convergence Platform integrate:
* A modem processor, an applications processor and associated DSPs into a single chip delivering up to 1GHz speeds
* Integrated support for QUALCOMM's Launchpad(tm) suite of advanced multimedia functionalities
* Advanced power management capabilities, including self-regulating power-down modes to optimize power consumption and ensure longer battery life
* Connectivity to external computers, printers, video projectors and other peripheral accessories, ensuring seamless access of multimedia and enterprise applications in consumer-friendly formats:
o Standard TV-Interface
* Modem security and digital rights management support for m-commerce services
* Wireless PC synchronization
* Integrated support for QUALCOMM's BREW(tm) solution
* Support for leading third-party operating systems
The Convergence Platform includes:
* The multimode MSM7500 chipset:
o Supports CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A and GSM/GPRS
o Backwards compatible with CDMA2000 standards
o Samples expected to ship in the first calendar quarter of 2005
* The multimode MSM7200 chipset:
o Supports WCDMA (UMTS)/HSDPA and GSM/GPRS/EDGE
o Samples expected to ship in the fourth calendar quarter of 2005
* The MSM7600 chipset, a true universal modem:
+ CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A and CDMA2000 1xEV-DV Rev. D
+ Backwards compatible with CDMA2000 standards
+ WCDMA (UMTS)/HSDPA
o Samples expected to ship in 2006
QUALCOMM's Convergence chipset solutions support the Launchpad suite of advanced multimedia, connectivity, position location, user interface and removable storage functionality, including QUALCOMM's gpsOne solution, the world's most broadly deployed assisted-GPS handset technology.
QUALCOMM's chipsets include access to QUALCOMM's BREW solution. The BREW system enables the development and monetization of advanced applications and content, allowing operators and OEMs to differentiate their products and services and increase revenues. QUALCOMM's chipsets are also compatible with the Java runtime environment; J2ME(tm) can be built entirely on the chipset as an extension to the BREW solution.
As with all QUALCOMM chipsets, the Convergence chipsets also support QUALCOMM's radioOne(tm) Zero Intermediate Frequency (ZIF) architecture, providing reduced bill-of-materials costs and more cost-effective solutions for multimode, multiband 3G wireless devices.