NTT DoCoMo, Inc. reported that COSMOTE Mobile Telecommunications S.A. announced that they will begin marketing DoCoMo's i-mode(tm) service to the Greek market on June 7, 2004. The service in Greece, which will take place via COSMOTE's GPRS network, marks the ninth market for i-mode, following introduction to the service in Japan, Germany, the Netherlands, Taiwan, Belgium, France, Spain, and Italy.
COSMOTE is Greece's leading mobile operator, both in terms of subscribers and profitability. DoCoMo concluded an agreement in November 2003 to provide COSMOTE with know-how, technologies and patents necessary to launch the i-mode service.
DoCoMo sees great potential for i-mode growth in Greece, which is a major European market for mobile communications with its national population of approximately 11 million people.
DoCoMo and COSMOTE will also cooperate on the introduction of i-mode in other markets where COSMOTE maintains subsidiaries or manages operations, including AMC in Albania, Globul in Bulgaria, and COSMOFON in Macedonia.
Outline of i-mode service in Greece
1) Operator: COSMOTE Mobile Telecommunications S.A.
2) Launch date: June 7, 2004
3) Area: COSMOTE's GPRS network in Greece
4) Network: GPRS
5) Handsets: NEC N331i, NEC N400i and NEC N410i as well as Panasonic P341i. All are equipped with a dual browser to view i-mode-compatible HTML and WML1.X content.
6) Service includes:
1. More than 100 sites at the time of launch, which are available in the following languages: Greek and/or English
2. 14 major categories, as follows:
4) Mobile Banking
5) Maps & Info
7) Lifestyle / Showbiz
8) Astrology / Humour
10) Pictures & Cartoons
12) Travel & Reservations
13) On line shopping
14) Chat & Date
3. i-mode mail availability
4. MMS transmission compatibility
Basic monthly fee: 0 euro
Packet transmission: 1 eurocent per 1 kilobyte (0.01 euro/KB)
Content subscription: Both free and paid content will be available. Content charge will be between 0 to 3 euro per month. (1 euro = approx. 135 yen)