The Java(TM)-based BlackBerry 7290(tm) combines phone, e-mail, Short Messaging Services (SMS), organizer, Web browsing and corporate data access capabilities in a single handheld. The 7290 operates on the GSM/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
frequencies, which enables both domestic and international roaming in practically any GSM market worldwide.*
The BlackBerry 7290 features a crisp, high-resolution screen that supports more than 65,000 colors, excellent battery life and an updated QWERTY keyboard with highlighted number keys for easy dialing and typing. The 7290 comes with
32 MB of flash memory and 4 MB of SRAM, allowing for more storage capabilities. The device also supports cradle-free wireless e-mail synchronization, integrated attachment viewing (including support for popular file formats such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WordPerfect, PDF and ASCII) and remote address look up in addition to secure, push-based wireless connectivity.
The 7290 also features Bluetooth, a short-distance technology designed to wirelessly connect electronic devices, which enables customers to take advantage of wireless headsets and car kits. Cingular is currently offering
three Bluetooth-enabled ear buds that are compatible with the BlackBerry 7290.
The BlackBerry 7290 is expected to be commercially available from Cingular in early October. It will be priced on a promotional basis at $149 with a two-year service agreement and packaged with a free wireless ear bud for
convenient voice calling. Research In Motion (RIM) and O2 today introduced the new BlackBerry 7290 Wireless Handheld(TM) for mobile professionals in Europe. It is expected to be available from O2 in the UK, Germany and Ireland from November 2004.
New and enhanced features for the BlackBerry 7290 include:
* Quad-band support for GSM/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies - enabling full international roaming
* Bluetooth support for Bluetooth headsets and car kits
* A brighter LED backlight - making it easy to check information anytime, anywhere
* Updated QWERTY keyboard style with highlighted number keys for easy dialling and typing
* Increased memory to 32 MB flash memory and 4 MB SRAM to further improve storage capabilities for messages, calendar appointments and applications