Nextel has announced the availability of the Motorola i860, the first phone with a built-in camera to offer Direct Connect(R), Nationwide Direct Connect(SM) and International Direct Connect(SM) walkie-talkie services. The i860 features video capture and playback, an integrated camera, and multimedia messaging services (MMS). The sleek Motorola i860 is packed with more than a dozen top-of-the-line features including 10-second video capture and playback and a 0.3-megapixel camera with 4X digital zoom. In addition, it allows users to easily exchange digital photos and contact information with others.
The phone's 10-second video capture capability includes a short-range LED spotlight to provide additional light for close-up pictures. The camera allows users to take pictures in a variety of sizes suitable for sharing, in- camera viewing, wallpaper designs, and picture caller ID. Users can get themselves in the picture using the self-timer.
With the Motorola i860, users can share their pictures and audio recordings by sending and receiving multimedia messages. The phone's integrated Media Center allows users to conveniently manage all pictures, voice recordings, ring tones, videos, and wallpaper designs from a single area.
Other features of the Motorola i860 that are new to iDEN handsets include:
- Picture Caller ID - allows a previously-assigned picture of a caller to appear in the external display when a phone call is incoming from that contact
- Larger external color screen - displays up to 3 lines of text and pictures
- Larger internal color screen - displays up to 11 lines of text in vibrant color
- Push-to-Send My Info(2) - allows users to send their contact information via the "push-to-talk" (PTT) button. Users can limit the amount of information sent or send a virtual business card to network more efficiently.
- Push-to-Send Contacts(2) - allows users to easily share another user's contact information via the PTT button
- Media Downloader application - available for download from the Internet, this free application allows users to transfer photos and videos from their phone to their PC via a USB cable (not included)
- 25 MB of memory available to end users - for ring tones, voice recordings, videos, pictures, messages, wallpaper designs, and Java(TM) applications
- MP3 ring tones - including music and voice
- Openwave 7.0 Internet microbrowser - lets users browse graphic-rich xHTML sites
- Push-to-open button - offers convenient, one-handed operation of the flip-style phone by mechanically opening the flip when pressed
The phone also has many of the features associated with Motorola's iDEN technology, including location-based services, integrated speakerphone, voice recorder, voice dialing, downloadable applications, and a two-way radio for instant communication at the touch of a button.
With the Motorola i860, Nextel is the first national cellular service provider to offer two exclusive features that make communicating more integrated, convenient and intuitive. The Nextel Direct Send(SM) contacts feature allows a user to send contact information, including names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses, to another user's Motorola i860 phone with the simple press of the Push To Talk(TM) (PTT(TM)) walkie-talkie button. Additionally, a user can create messages in seconds directly from the i860's contact list by highlighting a name.
The Motorola i860 handset weighs 4.77 ounces and measures 1.96 x 3.45 x 1.01 inches. It has 25,000 kilobytes of memory for storing multimedia messages, and it is available through all Nextel distribution channels, including retail stores, at a price of $299.99 with a two-year service agreement, new activation and credit approval.