Firefly Mobile, Inc. today announced the first nationwide availability of the Firefly phone, The Mobile Phone for Mobile Kids(TM), a pioneering voice-only mobile phone designed for kids' smaller hands. Firefly phones, introduced in March 2005, are now on shelves with accessories and Firefly branded, pay-as-you-go calling plans nationwide. Parents searching for a mobile phone explicitly designed for Tweens, kids ages eight to twelve, can now buy online at fireflymobile.com, visit select regional wireless carriers, go to Target, or head to Firefly kiosks at select shopping malls across the United States.
With just five keys instead of a regular dial pad, parents use a PIN to program up to 22 outgoing numbers into the phone, including speed-dial keys for Mom and Dad. Kids place calls by pressing the Mom, Dad or Phone Book keys, and then send. The patented phone lights up like a firefly when in use and intermittently when in standby mode.
Firefly phones deliver a variety of parental controls, including the ability to pre-program outgoing numbers with a PIN and optionally only receive calls from those numbers. The Firefly phone features:
* Just five keys to place most calls
* "Mom" and "Dad" speed-dial keys
* Parent-programmed, PIN-protected phone list with a 22-number capacity
* 911 button for emergency calls, with accidental call prevention feature
* Optional call screening
* Caller ID and call waiting
* Hook for backpack clip (included with phone)
* Firefly Fireworks(TM) light display, which flashes when the phone rings, during standby and when the phone is charging
* 12 ring tones
* 7 screen colors
* 5 animations
* Battery charger
* Weight: 2.12 oz.
* Size: 3.46" x 1.73" x 0.79"
* Talk time: Up to 6 hours
* Standby time: 205 hours
* Mhz: GSM 850/1900
* Antenna: Internal
* Battery: Rechargeable, non-removable lithium ion battery
* Menu display: English or Spanish
Firefly Mobile also offers a fun array of accessories for the Firefly phone, which allow kids to personalize their phone to fit their taste. Accessories include:
* interchangeable translucent colored and patterned shells
* glow-in-the-dark skin
* mesh pouches
* wristlet purses
* hands-free headset
* travel and vehicle chargers
Pricing and Availability
Firefly phones with a Firefly branded, pay-as-you-go calling plan are available nationwide in Target Stores for $99.99, on the Web at fireflymobile.com, and in select shopping malls at the Firefly kiosk. Accessories are also available for purchase. The phone comes with 30 minutes of airtime and packaged with a backpack clip and battery charger as well as Parents' Guide and Quick Start Guide for Kids. There are no contracts to sign, no monthly bills and no hidden fees with the Firefly Mobile calling plan. Shipping and handling are not included when purchased on line.