Option N.V., the wireless technology company, unveiled the GTM351E embedded wireless module. The GTM351E is a PCI Express Mini Card module designed primarily for the laptop computer market. The product supports 3G HSDPA/UMTS and Quad band EDGE/GPRS WWAN technologies in a single miniaturised plug-in module package.
In conjunction with the announcement of the GTM351E wireless module, Option also announces that it has been awarded a design win for the product from a major IT manufacturer. Initial shipments of the GTM351E wireless module have already been made for platform integration, whilst commercial shipments are expected in the 1st half of 2006. In tandem Option has supplied the wireless module to mobile network operators for conformance testing and product validation.
Jan Callewaert, CEO Option: "Our world-class expertise in developing and bringing to market wireless data solutions combined with our excellent relationships with mobile network operators makes Option a strong partner in the market for wireless modules. The business model between operators and IT Manufacturers for commercializing embedded wireless modules is still in its early stages. We'll see a further maturing of this market in 2006. With this product announcement and our design win we mark a new milestone in the history of our company."
PCI Express Mini Card is a new standard for embedded modules being adopted widely by IT manufacturers that is replacing the former mini-PCI connector on system boards. The PCI Express Mini Card standard now includes connector pin-outs to take account of Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) interfaces as used in 3G UMTS/HSDPA and GSM wireless implementations.
The Option GTM351E is the ideal solution for an IT manufacturer embedding HSDPA, UMTS and EDGE connectivity into laptops devices. The GTM351E supports HSDPA 1.8 Mbps, UMTS WCDMA in the 2100 MHz band and EDGE/GPRS in four bands (850/900/1800/1900 MHz), thereby ensuring worldwide network compatibility bringing broadband wireless Internet connectivity to laptop users.
- Multimode 3G HSDPA/3GUMTS/EDGE/GPRS PCI Express Mini-Card
- Provides HSDPA High-speed data (up to 1.8 Mbps downlink and up to 384kbps uplink) connectivity on HSDPA-equipped networks
- Provides UMTS High-speed data (up to 384 kbps) connectivity on UMTS networks - Provides EDGE/GPRS/GSM data (up to 247 kbps) connectivity - Low power dissipation for easy embedding into devices
- Transparent handover between HSDPA/UMTS and GSM/EDGE networks
- Tested on infrastructures and networks worldwide
- Flexible driver design providing both NDIS and
modem modes for easy integration into 3rd party dashboard applications
- Microsoft approved WHQL drivers
- Future-proof through Flash Memory technology - Fully RoSH compliant (lead-free manufacturing processes)
- Benefits from Option's extensive experience in Wireless Data Cards
- GlobeTrotter Mobility Manager software & drivers can be customized according to the IT Manufacturer and the Mobile Network Operator requirements