Palm, Inc. and Verizon Wireless today announced the availability of the Palm Treo(tm) 700w smartphone, the first Treo smartphone to take advantage of Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess service on its EV-DO network. The Treo 700w smartphone also is the first Treo smartphone to run the Microsoft Windows Mobile operating system, bringing the hallmark Palm ease of use to Windows Mobile for the first time. It combines a great mobile phone with high-speed wireless data access to email and business applications. The Treo 700w smartphone goes on sale tomorrow and joins the Treo 650 smartphone based on the Palm OS platform on the Verizon Wireless network.
The newest member of the Treo family builds on the award-winning design of the Treo 600 and Treo 650 smartphones and takes advantage of Windows Mobile 5.0, offering Microsoft Office applications for Windows Mobile, Internet Explorer Mobile and Windows Media Player Mobile; as well as direct access to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 for mobile access to information. The new smartphone delivers a unique suite of software enhancements on top of Windows Mobile that includes the following:
* Today Screen enhancements, which feature the ability to "dial by name" with a few keystrokes on the keyboard, perform a web search directly from the Today Screen and perform one-touch dialing with personalized photo speed dials;
* Ability to manage a call directly from the Today Screen and stay on top of voicemail with on-screen, VCR-like icons, such as rewind, delete and fast-forward controls for easy navigation; and
* Ability to ignore a call and quickly compose a text message such as "In a meeting" or "Can't talk right now" by selecting the "Ignore with text" option from the incoming-call screen.
Features That Increase Mobile Productivity:
* EV-DO access for fast downloads of data, email and large attachments;
* Robust Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system;
* Intel XScale technology-based processor;
* Ability to send and receive email from multiple corporate and personal email accounts, with built-in support for Microsoft Office Outlook Mobile, Hotmail, Yahoo!, AOL, and other POP3 and IMAP accounts;
* On-device access to Microsoft Office Word Mobile, Office Excel Mobile and Office PowerPoint Mobile for viewing, editing and creating Word and Excel Mobile documents, as well as viewing PowerPoint Mobile presentations. In addition, with Picsel PDF viewer (included on installation CD), customers can view PDF documents;
* Unified messaging application, including email, SMS and MMS;
* Support for Wireless Sync to provide the convenience of push email and easy access to personal information-management tools, such as contacts and calendar, as well as enterprise tools, such as device management and file synchronization; and
* Enough memory to manage business and personal digital needs in one place with 128MB of memory and 60MB of dedicated user storage.
Other Treo 700w Features and Benefits:
* New 1.3-megapixel camera to shoot crisp, clear digital images and videos;
* Integrated Bluetooth 1.2 wireless technology for communicating with compatible headsets, car kits, computers and printers equipped with Bluetooth technology;
* Removable battery and non-volatile memory;
* Voice Command for voice dialing;
* Expansion card slot (SD, SDIO, and MultiMediaCard compatible); and
* 240x240 transflective (TFT) screen.
Pricing and Availability
The Palm Treo 700w smartphone from Verizon Wireless is available for $399.99 after $100 instant rebate with a two-year service agreement when accompanied by a voice plan of $39.99 or higher and an unlimited PDA/smartphone data plan. The Treo 700w is available at the 1,900 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, Verizon Wireless Communications Stores at Circuit City, or on the web at the Palm Treo 700w site.