The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) today officially announced the winners of its Best of CES Contest, the first such contest hosted by the organization at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2006 last week to highlight the most innovative and consumer-friendly new Bluetooth enabled products. Manufacturers of Bluetooth products competed in seven categories representing consumer-facing industries in which Bluetooth technology is used.
Prior to the show, member companies of the Bluetooth SIG were invited to submit Bluetooth enabled products in the categories of mobile phone, headset, automotive hands-free, stereo audio, printing and imaging, PC environment and unique application. The Bluetooth SIG carefully tested each product and judged them on a variety of criterion, including ease of use, look and feel, implementation and originality. The products were also judged on their Best of Breed status, a program administered by the Bluetooth SIG that explains how classes of devices should implement specific profiles to provide exceptional user experience. After determining finalists for each category, the devices were displayed at Pepcom's Digital Experience! press event on the eve of CES, as well as in the Bluetooth SIG booth in the Bluetooth Tech Zone at CES. Press and analysts who attended either the Pepcom event or stopped by the booth on Thursday were able to cast the final vote for the winner of each category.
The following products were chosen as winners of each respective category (finalists indicated in parentheses). The overall winner, also voted on by press and analysts, will receive a trip for two people to the Bluetooth SIG All Hands Meeting the week of March 26 in Seattle, Washington.
* Mobile phone - Samsung SGH-D600 [finalist: HP iPAQ hw6500 Series Mobile Messenger]
* Headset - Jabra BT500 [finalist: Plantronics Explorer 320]
* Automotive hands-free - Parrot 3400 LS-GPS [finalist: Sony Ericsson Bluetooth Car Hands-free HCB-700]
* Stereo audio - Bluetake Technology i-PHONO mini Bluetooth Stereo Headphone [finalist: Plantronics Pulsar 590]
* Printing and imaging - HP Photosmart 385 [finalist: Sony Ericsson Bluetooth Media Center MMV-200]
* PC environment - Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser [finalist: Broadcom BLINK Software] * Unique application - Motorola Audex Protective Gear: Helmet and Padded Hat [finalists: Baracoda RoadRunners Barcode Scanner BRR-L and SunCorp. Slide Bluetooth Cordless Phone]
* Overall Bluetooth SIG Best of CES winner - Bluetake i-PHONO mini Bluetooth Stereo Headphone