M-Systems and its subsidiary smart card company, Microelectronica, today announced their expanded 2006 M-SIM(TM) product roadmap including the M.MAR series of 2G and 3G SIM cards and the MegaSIM(R) series of high-density SIM cards. As the first part of the new offering, the companies further announced today the planned availability of 512 megabytes M-SIM MegaSIM series SIM cards for pilots with mobile network operators (MNOs) in Q2 2006 and planned commercial availability in Q3 2006. 1 gigabyte M-SIM MegaSIM series SIM cards are planned for rollout by the end of 2006.
This new product roadmap, the first issued since M-Systems' acquisition of Microelectronica in November 2005, includes products which integrate Microelectronica's M.MAR SIM software and operating system with M-Systems' flash management technology as part of the MegaSIM platform.
The new M-SIM MegaSIM series will enable MNOs to offer subscribers a secured product with advanced capabilities, enabling smarter mobile services, such as multimedia content, games, messaging and enterprise applications.
Tthe MegaSIM platform, incorporating M-Systems' T
ueFFS(R) flash file management, combines high-density flash storage (64 megabytes to 1 gigabyte), processing power, high-speed data protocols and crypto functionality. M-Systems' MegaSIM platform far enhances typical SIM architecture while maintaining full compatibility with legacy industry standards. SIM cards powered by M-Systems' MegaSIM platform, such as M-Systems' M-SIM MegaSIM series, will provide MNOs with an intuitive, ubiquitous interface and a high-density, high-speed platform. By deploying these SIM cards, MNOs can increase revenue streams, while at the same time offer a new sales channel for software developers and, last but not least, a smarter mobile usage experience for subscribers.
The product series announced today includes:
1. M-SIM M.MAR series of 2G and 3G SIM cards available with EEPROM memory from 32 kilobytes to 1 megabyte complying with 3GPP Release 5 and Release 6 specifications. M-SIM M.MAR SIM cards have full support for standard OTA/BIP, STK, Java functionality, micro-browsing, BIP, crypto and both 2G and 3G versions.
2. M-SIM MegaSIM series high-density SIM cards with flash memory densities ranging from 64 megabytes to 1 gigabyte. The M-SIM MegaSIM series will offer:
* Full UICC, (U)SIM functionality for 2G and 3G
* 64 megabytes (MB), 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB and 1 gigabyte of flash memory
* High speed interface support
* 32-bit ARM SC100 CPU
* 448 kilobytes of ROM, 64 or 128 kilobytes of EEPROM, 16 kilobytes of SRAM
* Java interoperable functionality
* Enhanced M-Safe crypto engine with PKI, 3DES and on-the-fly AES support
* Support for 3rd party mobile software applications
* USAT interpreter
* WIB 1.3