Opera Software today released Opera Mini 2.0, the new version of the tiny and fast Web browser that runs on almost every mobile phone. With over 2.5 million users since its first release in January 2006, Opera Mini has revolutionized mobile Web browsing. Opera Mini 2.0 further improves the Web surfing experience for any mobile phone user by enabling them to download MP3s, images and other Web content directly to their mobile phone. Additional features include quick and easy mobile shopping, improved design, bookmark speed dials, and more.
"Opera Mini has kick-started real mobile Web browsing by enabling non-smartphone owners to surf the full Internet on their phones, just as they do on their PCs," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software.
Browser-to-SMS: A New World of Mobile Commerce
New capabilities in Opera Mini help businesses take the pain out of mobile commerce. Opera Mini now supports seamless mobile commerce via SMS. For example, users can click directly on the Web site to purchase ringtones, games and other content which will then be delivered as an SMS. The charge will appear in the phone bill as an SMS with the price set by the seller. This form of mobile commerce - direct from the browser to SMS - simplifies the transaction for both the business and the consumer.
Opera Mini is also available as a customized browser for businesses that want to reach mobile customers. Operators, broadcasters, mobile content providers, handset manufacturers and others can take advantage of Opera Mini's fast and easy way to make both existing and new content available on all handsets.
New features in Opera Mini 2.0 include:
- Content download: Download images, MP3s, etc. directly to the phone.
- New skins: Make Opera Mini your own by selecting from several new and bold skins to suit your mood.
- Multisearch: Opera Mini offers advanced searching functionality by allowing users to select extra search engines for the home page.
- Speed dial: Bookmarks displayed on the home page are assigned a shortcut key combination, giving users faster and easier access to their favorite sites.
- Visual navigation: Quick and smooth horizontal panning when browsing backwards or forwards.