NTT DoCoMo, Inc. and its eight regional subsidiaries today unveiled the new lineup of eight FOMA "9 Series" handsets. All 9 Series phones are preinstalled with i-appli(tm) software required to use DoCoMo's DCMX(tm) credit card.
The series includes Japan's first HSDPA-compatible handset, the N902iX HIGH-SPEED. HSDPA is a new high-speed packet-transmission technology for downlinks at up to 3.6Mbps, or 10 times faster than current FOMA handsets.
All models in the 9 Series have music players. Some are also compatible with DoCoMo's Chaku-Uta Full service for downloading full music tracks from i-mode sites, as well as Music Channel for programmed, automatic downloading of music from i-mode sites during the night (N902iX HIGH-SPEED), and Windows Media Audio files (F902iS).
Other features common to many of the new 9 Series handsets include:
* Extensive security
Data Security Service enables phonebooks to be stored on the DoCoMo network.
Omakase Lock enables users who lost their phone to telephone a 24-hour call center to have the phone's smart card and personal data locked immediately.
Biometric Authentication requires confirmation of the owner's fingerprint, facial or voice features prior to accessing most features of the phone.
Business mopera "ANSHIN" manager enables corporate administrators to lock phones and delete/backup phonebooks remotely via computer.
The caller's phone can transmit a 10-character message that displays on the receiver's screen as the phone rings (5 yen per message excluding tax).
* Transferring contents to external memory
Chaku-Uta, i-motion, i-appli application data can be stored on a removable miniSD disk, as well as internal memory.
* 3G roaming
Compatibility with DoCoMo's WORLD WING service for international roaming via W-CDMA networks in 33 countries/regions.
* Deco-mail Signature
Decorative Deco-mail graphics can be automatically inserted in e-mail signatures and subject lines.
* Receive videophone calls during packet communications
* Compatibility with 1.7GHz bandwidth
* Compatibility with communication congestion control
DoCoMo will control voice and packet communications separately to ensure that congestion on the packet network will not affect the voice network, and vice-versa (available this summer).
* Remote control of A/V equipment
The "9 Series" handsets can be used outside the home to program audio/video equipment, such as DVD recorders, for recording TV programs.
*Certain charges will be applied for some services.
Many of the new handsets are also compatible with existing 902i features, such as:
* PushTalk for simple, walkie-talkie-style communication.
* Osaifu-Keitai e-wallet services, including mobile-phone credit cards, e-money, e-ticketing, membership programs and more.
* ToruCa for mobile access to information about stores, products, etc. by simply waving the phone in front of a reader/writer at a merchant or other location.
* i-channel for news, weather, sports scores, horoscopes, etc., delivered automatically to the phone's standby screen as telop text.
N902iX High-Speed Specs:
H 106 x width 51 x thickness 25 mm
Display: 2.5", TFT LCD, 65,536 colors
miniSD Memory Card
Outer Camera: Super CCD Honeycomb for AF, Effective resolution 2.0 megapixels, recorded resolution 4.0 megapixels
Inner Camera: CMOS, effective resolution 330,000 pixels, recorded resolution 310,000 pixels
Colors: Cygnus White or Titanium Silver