QUALCOMM Incorporated today introduced the QSC1100(TM) single-chip solution. The QSC1100 is designed to enable CDMA2000 handsets that break new industry price barriers for emerging markets worldwide. In addition to supporting features such as downloadable polyphonic ringtones and color displays, the QSC1100 solution doubles talk time compared to currently available CDMA2000 handsets. Addressing the dramatic subscriber growth anticipated in emerging markets around the world, the QSC1100 solution features multiple technologies to dramatically improve network capacity by up to 100 percent.
"The QSC1100 enables our handset manufacturing partners to further extend their offerings in emerging markets by introducing compelling, attractive devices at new price points," said Dr. Sanjay K. Jha, president of QUALCOMM CDMA Technologies. "Working with all levels of the wireless ecosystem, QUALCOMM is able to meet a common goal of accelerating time to market for a wide variety of new handsets with differentiated features and superior user experiences."
The QSC1100 solution's integration of baseband modem, RF transceiver, power management and system memory into a single chip reduces the number of discrete components required, reduces bill-of-materials costs and delivers board-area savings of more than 50 percent. Manufacturers can now offer smaller and sleeker designs at significantly lower price points and benefit from reduced development time for quicker time to market. The QSC1100 solution offers a wide range of features to deliver a superior user experience, including:
* Voice/SMS and support for downloadable polyphonic ringtones and wallpapers
* Up to twice the talk time of CDMA2000 handsets in the market today
* 65nm process technology for enhanced performance and cost effectiveness
* Multiple frequency operation, including 450MHz, 800MHz, 1900MHz and 2100MHz
* Multiple technologies that allow network operators to prioritize voice capacity or improve network capacity by up to 60 percent, or double the capacity within the same spectrum with the additional implementation of four-way receive diversity at the base station:
-- Fourth Generation Vocoder(TM): a core voice codec suite giving network operators the flexibility to prioritize voice quality or network capacity
-- QUALCOMM Linear Interference Cancellation: including pilot and traffic interference cancellation
* Support for color displays and speakerphone
The QSC1100 solution is expected to sample by the second half of 2007.