GIST Communications announced the availability of its UGuide(TM), a mobile application that searches TV programming via an easy to view TV grid and delivers the ability to remotely program Microsoft Windows XP Media Center to record shows.
From a java-enabled mobile phone, UGuide's users are able to search over 20,000 TV program listings, including regional programs and the new Fall line-up from all US media markets. Users can create advance viewing reminders that will appear on their mobiles, receive personalized programming recommendations from the UGuide and, those with Windows Media Center, remotely send programming commands to record programs.
"Other companies have talked about a new generation of remote recording from mobile devices, but GIST is the first to have it in place with personalized viewing recommendations included as part of the offering," said Jim Cantalini, CEO of GIST Communications. "An immediate benefit is users can set reminders for the new Fall line-up and receive recommendations for similar programming," he added.
The free UGuide is available at http://www.uguidetv.com/. Registrants will be asked for their mobile phone number and email address to receive the Beta program. The UGuide mobile application is downloaded in about a minute to Java-enabled mobile phones, which includes Treo's and BlackBerry's. Beta users have the opportunity to use all the features of the UGuide and make recommendations for improvements in the next release through a forum page.
The UGuide comes with the following features:
* Search: Find exactly what you want to watch or record with access to more than 20,000 channel lineups covering all regional offerings in US media markets.
* Recommendations: Receive daily recommendations for programs that closely match your TV viewing preferences.
* Remote PVR Recording: Schedule recordings on Windows Media Center PVR from another room or another city.
* Program Listings: Quick and easy navigation that helps you find out what's on at a specific time, on a specific channel.
* Easy mobile viewing: TV grid, a standard program guide, tailored to your mobile phone.
* Favorite viewing: Favorite shows, channels and personalized content preferences can be stored and programmed into the UGuide.