Verizon Wireless and UTStarcom today announced the online availability on October 20 of the Verizon Wireless G'zOne Type-V -- a phone built to withstand harsh environmental conditions and provides reliable performance for customers with outdoor lifestyles. Exclusively available through Verizon Wireless in the United States, the G'zOne Type-V is compliant to multiple Military Standards including exposure to temperatures in excess of 140 degree F, extreme vibration, solar radiation, conditions set to simulate storm conditions of two inches of rainfall per hour with high winds and submersion in one meter of water.
In addition to meeting rigorous testing standards, the G'zOne Type-V is able to access some of the key services that Verizon Wireless customers have grown to expect including V CAST, which gives customers access to high-quality video clips from today's hottest content providers and 3D games right in the palms of their hands. The phone also features a 2.0 megapixel camera so customers can capture still and video images while on-the-go whether they want a picture of the summit after a hike or the kids playing in the yard.
The G'zOne Type-V passed all of the following tests, performed in accordance with Military Standards 810 degrees F, with all ports (battery, headset and charging) on the phone closed and the antenna secured:
* The Water Resistance test was performed in accordance with Method 506.4, Procedure I. The G'zOne Type-V was subjected to this test with the handset open and closed, but with ports closed for 30 minutes on the front of the unit and then 30 minutes on the back of the unit. The test was designed to simulate rainfall of 2 inches per hour with a 40 MPH wind.
* Immersion tests were conducted in accordance with Method 512.4, Procedure I. The G'zOne Type-V was immersed in water for a period of 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter (3.28 feet), but with ports closed.
* The Humidity test was performed in accordance with Method 507.4. The G'zOne Type-V tested for operation after the conclusion of the tenth cycle. Each cycle was 24 hours and the entire test was performed over ten days. The temperature was cycled between 86 and 140 degrees with the relative humidity at 95 percent constant.
* The Salt Fog test was performed in accordance with Method 509.4. The G'zOne Type-V was subjected to 48 hours of salt solution of five parts by weight of Na CI in 95 parts by weight of de-ionized water with a chamber temperature of 95 degrees F.
* The Drop test was performed in accordance with Method 516.5, Procedure IV. The G'zOne Type-V was sequentially dropped in non-operating mode, onto each face, edge and corner for a total of 26 drops from a height of 1.50 meters (4.9 feet). The drop surface was defined as two-inch-thick plywood over a steel plate over concrete.
* The Vibration test was performed in accordance with Method 514.5, Procedure I, Category 24 for the non-operational condition. The G'zOne Type-V was clamped to an aluminum plate and subjected to the following levels of vibration: Non-Operational 0.04 g2 /Hz at 20-1000 Hz, -6 dB/Octave at 1000-2000 Hz, one hour/axis duration.
* The Solar Radiation test was performed in accordance with Method 505.4, Procedure I. The G'zOne Type-V was exposed to three 24-hour cycles with temperatures of 90 degrees F to 120 degrees F and solar intensities of 1120 W/m.
* The Dust Resistance test was performed in accordance with Method 510.4, Procedure I. A temperature of 95 degrees F was used for this test. Silica flour as defined by the test standard was used. Devices are given a passing grade when moving parts are not bound or blocked and if the unit powers on.
The G'zOne Type-V also houses a host of multimedia features, including access to Verizon Wireless' Get It Now virtual store and VZ NavigatorSM, a tool that includes mapping, audible turn-by-turn navigation and access to information on more than 14 million points of interest. Features of the G'zOne Type-V from Verizon Wireless include:
* V CAST Video- and 3D games-capable -- download or stream video from the best names in news, sports, entertainment and more or download the latest 3D games from top providers
* Get It Now-capable -- download games, ring tones, wallpapers and more
* VZ Navigator-capable -- get audible maps, turn-by-turn directions and location information
* Mobile Web 2.0SM-capable -- customizable, enhanced wireless access to the latest in news, sports, weather and more
* TXT, PIX and FLIX Messaging capability -- send and receive messages with text, sounds, photos and videos
* Mobile IM -- send and receive instant messages using AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), Yahoo! Messenger or MSN Messenger
* 2.0 megapixel digital camera
- Resolution: 1200 x 1600, 960 x 1280, 480 x 640, 240 x 320, 120 x 160 pixels
- Take 15-second FLIX videos
* Address book with up to 500 contacts and picture Caller ID
* Calendar, Alarm Clock and World Clock
* Calculator and Notepad
* Countdown Timer and Stopwatch
* Voice Activated Dialing
* E911 Supported
* Frequency: CDMA2000 1 X EV-DO, 800MHz/1900 MHz-band compatible
* Handset insurance available
* Dimensions: 4.1" h x 2.0" w x 1.1" d
* Weight: 5.3 ounces
* mAhLi-Ion Battery
* TTY Compatible
* Up to 203 minutes usage time or up to 170 hours standby time.
Pricing and Availability
G'zOne Type-V will be available online at www.verizonwireless.com beginning October 20 for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement. The phone will be available in more than 2,200 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including stores within Circuit City, on October 23.