QUALCOMM Incorporated announced an expansion to its QUALCOMM Single Chip (QSC) family to include support for UMTS. The new QSC6240 product for WEDGE (WCDMA and GSM/GPRS/EDGE) and QSC6270 product for HEDGE (HSDPA/WCDMA and GSM/GPRS/EDGE) are the world's first solutions to integrate a monolithic die - with integrated radio transceiver, baseband modem and multimedia processor - together with power management functionality into a single chip for WCDMA (UMTS) and HSDPA handsets. The cost and time-to-market advantages of the single-chip solutions will help drive wireless broadband and 3G adoption in mass markets around the world.
"By introducing our fourth generation of single-chip solutions that include WCDMA/EDGE and HSDPA/EDGE, QUALCOMM is making the high-speed data and rich multimedia capabilities of 3G technologies accessible to a much wider base of wireless users around the world," said Dr. Sanjay K. Jha, president of QUALCOMM CDMA Technologies. "QUALCOMM is leveraging its technology leadership in 3G and single-chip design to significantly drive down the cost of 3G handsets and considerably reduce time to market by offering the world's first single-chip WCDMA and HSDPA solutions."
The high levels of integration in the QSC6240 and QSC6270 solutions significantly reduce bill-of-materials costs and discrete components, delivering board-area savings of up to 50 percent. The two solutions leverage cost-efficient 65nm CMOS process technology and significantly improve power efficiency for longer talk/standby times and an enhanced multimedia user experience. The two solutions feature:
* Complete chipset solution in a 12mm x 12mm package
* Up to 3 megapixel camera support
* Support for WCDMA (UMTS) in one of 800/850/900MHz, and two of 1700/1800/1900/2100 MHz bands, as well as quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
* 72-voice simultaneous polyphonic ringtones
* Integrated USB 2.0 high speed
* Advanced codecs, including eAAC+, H.264, Real and Windows Media
* 15fps video encode and decode capability
* Support for OpenGL ES 1.0 3D graphics capability
Sampling of the QSC6240 and QSC6270 solutions is scheduled for the third quarter of 2007.