Sprint and Motorola, Inc. announced nationwide availability of its PowerSource(TM) phones and first-in-the-category phones the Motorola Buzz(TM) ic502 and the Motorola Blend(TM) ic402. An industry first, these phones represent a new category of handsets that utilize the Nextel National Network (iDEN) for walkie-talkie services and the Sprint Nationwide Network (CDMA) for voice and data services. Bringing together the strength of both networks, Sprint customers now have the power to make voice calls; communicate instantly with Nextel Walkie-Talkie services; and stay connected with Sprint Text Messaging, GPS and other advanced applications, all with one single phone.
Handset Features and Functionality
The Buzz and Blend will utilize both of Sprint's networks depending upon the service being used. For walkie-talkie services, the handset will operate on the Nextel National Network (iDEN) giving customers the ability to instantly connect with more than 20 million Nextel walkie-talkie users coast to coast. Customers can also use walkie-talkie service in and between up to five countries (Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Mexico and Peru) on the world's largest walkie-talkie network.* The Buzz and Blend also support Direct Talk for short-range off-network walkie-talkie conversations between users with other Direct Talk-capable Nextel phones. Sprint is the pioneer with over 13 years experience in the walkie-talkie market and continues to provide customers with sub-second latency, innovative features and international coverage for the power to get things done instantly with Nextel Walkie-Talkie service.
Voice and data services will be delivered via the Sprint Nationwide Network. Sprint plans offer the largest wireless voice calling area reaching 259 million people in the U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam. Sprint also offers a comprehensive suite of unmatched data services and capabilities. Sprint Vision includes services on these handsets that allow customers to browse the Internet; check email; and download voice ringers, graphically rich games and screen savers, all on the enhanced Sprint Nationwide Network.
Both handsets support SMS text messaging and are GPS-enabled for navigation, including support for TeleNav*. Sprint has the longest history in the industry with location-based services delivering the first GPS-enabled phone to support E911 services and the first navigation service on mobile phones with turn-by-turn voice-guided directions in 2003. Sprint is the #1 wireless provider of GPS solutions.
Motorola's iDEN technology focuses on streamlining communications into pocket-sized digital handsets that meet the complete needs of mobile-phone users today and provide advanced wireless technologies on leading walkie-talkie, voice and data networks. Highly competitive in the enterprise area, Motorola's iDEN solutions also increase productivity, improve efficiency and reduce costs, all by allowing users to carry a single device.
* Motorola Buzz(TM) ic502 - Rugged and professional grade, the Buzz is certified to military specification 810F for dust, shock and vibration, and provides impressive durability in a clamshell form factor. The Buzz weighs only 4.1 ounces and sports a color screen and external display. The Buzz is available in black and will be offered later this year in Indian blue/sterling silver. The Buzz is currently being sold for a suggested retail price of $249.99 and as low as $59.99 with a two-year subscriber agreement and $40 mail-in-rebate.
* Motorola Blend(TM) ic402- The Blend will be another appealing option for customers who desire innovative features and functionality that give mobile workforces a powerful edge in a small, stylish form factor. The Blend is currently being sold for a suggested retail price of $229.99 and as low as $39.99 with a two-year subscriber agreement and a $40 mail-in-rebate.
Committed to improving customer service and designing new products and services with the intent of making digital life simple, instant, enriching and productive for customers, Sprint has taken several steps to help ensure that customers who choose one of the PowerSource phones can enjoy great value and unmatched wireless capabilities on our powerful networks.
* Customers using a PowerSource phone will receive one bill for services on that device.
* Customers can choose from a variety of voice service plans similar to what is offered for Nextel-only phones that start as low as $29.99 per month for 200 anytime minutes.
* New Sprint Power Pack plans $39.99 and above include Unlimited Nationwide Walkie-Talkie services, Unlimited Nights starting at 7 p.m., unlimited weekends, no roaming charges and nationwide long-distance. And with the option to purchase nights and weekends starting at 6 p.m. for an additional $5 per month, Sprint customers can get even more unlimited talk time with a feature offered by no other carrier in the wireless industry.
* Customers also have the option of selecting a Sprint Free Incoming plan starting as low as $49.99 for 300 outgoing minutes. All Free Incoming plans include free incoming calls from anyone, anywhere as well as Unlimited Nationwide Walkie-Talkie services, Unlimited Nights starting at 9 p.m., unlimited weekends, no roaming charges and nationwide long-distance.
* Customers can add on data or advanced voice services for an additional charge including unlimited Nextel International or Group Walkie-Talkie, unlimited Mobile to Mobile, text messaging or Sprint's PowerSource Data Pack that includes unlimited data access, Web browsing PLUS 1000 Text Messages for just $10 per month.
Customers using a PowerSource phone can view coverage information for both the Nextel National Network and the Sprint Nationwide Network at www.sprint.com/coverage. Sprint plans to offer additional phones utilizing both the Nextel National Network and the Sprint Nationwide Network nationwide later in 2007. For more information about the Buzz or Blend visit www.sprint.com.
Customers purchasing a PowerSource phone as a replacement for an existing mobile phone are encouraged to donate their current phone to Sprint Project Connect. Donated phones, regardless of make, model or service provider, will be recycled in an environmentally friendly manner or refurbished and resold with proceeds benefiting K-12 education. More information, including a prepaid mailing label, can be found at www.sprint.com/projectconnect.