T-Mobile USA, Inc and Research In Motion (RIM) today introduced the BlackBerry 8800, a slim, performance-driven handset aimed at users who want a phone with both power and style. The BlackBerry 8800 allows users to stay connected and productive while on the go.
The BlackBerry 8800 complements the popularity of the BlackBerry Pearl(TM), providing customers with a proven mobile experience in a slim design with a full QWERTY keyboard. The BlackBerry 8800 includes support for up to 10 work and personal e-mail accounts (including the most popular ISP e-mail accounts), a built-in multimedia player for music and video, and full HTML web browsing. Premium features also are included such as Bluetooth 2.0 support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits and Bluetooth peripherals, RIM's user-friendly trackball navigation system, noise cancellation for enhanced audio performance, and a microSD expandable memory slot for storage.
Operating on T-Mobile's EDGE network, the quad-band BlackBerry 8800 offers T-Mobile's myFaves(i) experience to easily stay in touch with those who matter most, and incorporates built-in GPS (Global Positioning System) to support location-based applications. BlackBerry Maps is included, which provides on-screen driving directions with the ability to track the route via the GPS, and also makes it easy for customers to generate a map directly from their BlackBerry Address Book.
"The BlackBerry 8800 delivers best-in-class technology in a thin and stylish design," said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "Combined with T-Mobile's nationwide network, the BlackBerry 8800 delivers exceptional functionality, usability and battery life to provide an uncompromising mobile solution."
The BlackBerry 8800 from T-Mobile USA features:
- A large screen with ultra-bright 320 x 240 color display
- Dimensions: 4.49 x 2.60 x 0.55 inches and 4.73 oz
- Expandable memory via microSD expansion slot
- Instant messaging clients: AOL, Yahoo! MSN and ICQ
- Multimedia player with music and audio capabilities
- High performance HTML browser for visiting your favorite web sites(ii)
- Highly tactile, full QWERTY keyboard
- Intuitive user interface with an easy-to-use trackball
- Intuitive call management features such as smart dialing, conference calling, speed dialing, and call forwarding
- Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated 'send', 'end', and 'mute' keys, speakerphone, and Bluetooth support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits and Bluetooth peripherals
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS (800/900/1800/1900) and EDGE network support for international roaming
- Support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI ring tones
- BlackBerry Internet Service - allows access to up to 10 personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server support - integrates with Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino and Novell GroupWise environments and features a new set of IT policy controls for managing the handset's features and usage.
The BlackBerry 8800 from T-Mobile USA will be available beginning Monday, April 23 through select channels, including www.t-mobile.com or by calling 1-800-T-MOBILE. For more information, please visit www.t-mobile.com or www.blackberry8800.com.