Symbian Limited, developer and licensor of Symbian OS(TM), the market-leading operating system for advanced data-enabled mobile phones known as smartphones, today released the following unaudited financial and operational figures for the quarter ended 31 March 2007.
Highlights - Q1 2007
* 15.9m Symbian smartphones shipped by licensees in Q1 2007 - a 35.9% increase on Q1 2006 (Q1 2006 - 11.7m)
* 126 million cumulative Symbian smartphone unit shipments, as of 31 March 2007
* 20 million cumulative Symbian smartphone unit shipments milestone reached in Japan since first 3G Symbian model shipped in 2003. All models shipped since have been 3G.
* 14 new Symbian smartphone models commenced shipment in Q1 2007: 12 models were 3G enabled and eight models were for the Japanese market, launched in diverse segments including business, mobile TV, music, fashion, sport.
* New Symbian smartphone models which were announced in Q1 2007 but were not shipping as of 31 March 2007 include the MOTORIZR Z8, the Nokia 5700 XpressMusic, the Nokia 6110 Navigator, and Eseries devices for the enterprise: the Nokia E90 and the Nokia E61i.
* Symbian announced the latest evolution of its product, Symbian OS v9.5, which brings high performance features designed for richer consumer and enterprise experiences as well as significant savings to phone build costs and time to market.
* Symbian increased investment to further accelerate product development and regional growth
* At 3GSM in February 2007, Telefonica Moviles Espana, T-Mobile and Telecom Italia announced their choice of a platform based on Symbian OS(1). They join Vodafone, Orange and NTT DoCoMo in sharing the benefits of reduced time-to-market for new service delivery, scalability, and cost reduction.
* 7,478 third party Symbian applications are commercially available, as of 31 March 2007, up 58% (Q1 2006 - 4,735 applications) (Source: Symbian research, see Notes to Editors)
* The sale to Sony Ericsson of UIQ Technology AB and intellectual property rights in the UIQ user interface were completed.
Chief Executive Commentary
Nigel Clifford, Chief Executive Officer, Symbian Ltd today said:
"Symbian continued to lead the smartphone market in Q1 2007, with 16 million Symbian smartphones shipping worldwide, bringing the total shipment of Symbian smartphones since the Company's formation to over 126 million."