AT&T Inc. has announced that the AT&T wireless unit's customers now have direct access to traffic information and rerouting services through TeleNav Traffic, offered initially on the BlackBerry 8800, BlackBerry Pearl, BlackBerry 8700c and the new BlackBerry Curve.
TeleNav Traffic alerts users through voice and on-screen prompts to traffic slowdowns and incidents along their programmed travel route. With just one click, customers can choose an alternative route or can remain on the original course. TeleNav Traffic calculates and provides an ongoing estimated time of arrival based on the customer's current route and the latest traffic information. Subscribers can also view traffic information on a map and see details of surrounding traffic situations.
TeleNav Traffic is a feature of the latest version of TeleNav GPS Navigator and is offered as a free feature upgrade for TeleNav GPS Navigator subscribers. TeleNav GPS Navigator v5.1 also includes enhanced business listings, which identify more retailers and office parks. The TeleNav GPS Navigator now allows BlackBerry users to click addresses inside calendar invitations or contact lists for real-time navigation to that location.
"Traffic delays are one of the most fundamental and significant inhibitors to the productivity of mobile workers," said Laura Johnson, senior director, Wireless Enterprise Solutions, for AT&T. "Our new TeleNav Traffic offering will help companies by allowing employees in the field to get to clients faster and therefore potentially handle more calls each day, all of which will result in a higher level of customer service."
According to Texas A&M University's 2005 Urban Mobility Report, the average person loses 47 hours a year in unexpected traffic delays, and the total travel delay in the U.S. from traffic congestion is 3.7 billion hours. Saving a few minutes on each trip can result in professionals -- traveling executives, pharmaceutical representatives, salespeople, field technicians, insurance agents, transportation workers and realtors -- closing another deal, delivering additional products or working another case.
AT&T customers can receive turn-by-turn voice and on-screen driving directions with the award-winning TeleNav GPS Navigator service. TeleNav GPS Navigator can be used in vehicles or while walking and offers colorful 3-D moving maps. Other features of TeleNav GPS Navigator include:
* Voice and On-Screen Turn-by-Turn Directions. As they drive, users get up-to-the-minute guidance and will automatically be rerouted if they miss a turn. Users can also preview their routes before they begin driving and specify preferences, including highways and streets.
* Easy Address try. Customers can either type in the address on the phone, plan their trips online or even call in an address using the unique speech-recognition service integrated into TeleNav GPS Navigator. Speech recognition allows users the ability to quickly input an address if they are already behind the wheel.
* Biz Finder. Allows users to find businesses and services, ATMs, restaurants, hotels and gas stations and to navigate easily to them with the click of a button. Biz Finder also allows users to quickly look up and call the phone number for a business.
* Fuel Finder. Allows users to save money by finding the lowest gas prices in the area.
* Spot Marker. Helps users easily find their car wherever it is parked, such as in a large parking lot or on an unfamiliar downtown street.
* Pedestrian Mode. Allows users to use TeleNav GPS Navigator while they are walking to help guide them on long walks or through crowded downtown streets.
TeleNav Traffic is supported in the 50 most populated cities in the U.S. For a list of these cities, visit www.att.com/Common/files/pdf/telenav.pdf.
The BlackBerry 8800 includes built-in GPS capability for added convenience. BlackBerry Pearl, BlackBerry 8700c and BlackBerry Curve users require a Bluetooth GPS Receiver accessory to activate GPS.
To purchase, customers can visit any AT&T or Cingular retail store or go online to www.cingular.com. Current AT&T customers using TeleNav GPS Navigator on a compatible BlackBerry device can access TeleNav Traffic capabilities by conveniently downloading v5.1 from their wireless devices by visiting www.telenav.com. TeleNav GPS Navigator is available on a subscription basis at $5.99 for 10 trips and $9.99 for unlimited trips. An AT&T wireless data plan also is required.