Sony Ericsson North America announced the arrival of the highly anticipated Xperia(TM) X1 to the U.S. marketplace. The Xperia(TM) X1 delivers a range of multimedia and communication experiences that have long been coveted and in demand by consumers
The Xperia X1 will be available unlocked through Sony Electronics and its authorized retailers beginning on "Black Friday," November 28. Pre-orders of the Xperia X1 will be available through the Sony Style Web site at www.sonystyle.com beginning November 13. This premium device will be sold unlocked for the MSRP of $799.99, giving consumers the freedom to choose their own mobile operator and data plan.
"The Xperia X1 continues the Sony Ericsson tradition of delivering the highest quality experiences and the most advanced technology available today," said Karen Morris, vice president of marketing, Sony Ericsson North America. "The most exciting scenarios enabled by the Xperia X1 will be created by consumers - enabling them to customize and personalize their device and content to fit their lifestyle and personality."
The Xperia X1's unique panel user interface is at the heart of the device's ability to create and adapt consumers' personal choices. With up to 9 panels, it's easy to find and enjoy the information and entertainment content they want. Sony Ericsson is busy working with third-party developers to create a wealth of new applications and new panels that will soon be available for download.
By incorporating the Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional operating system, the Xperia X1 frees consumers from their home and office, allowing them connectivity to their content wherever they are.
"Windows Mobile gives people the ability to easily navigate between their business and personal lives," said Todd Peters, vice president of marketing, Mobile Communications Business, Microsoft. "The panel user interface found only in the Xperia X1 is bringing unique experiences to consumers who want more from their converged devices."
As Sony Ericsson's most advanced phone to date, the Xperia X1 brings together a large, 3-inch wide VGA display touchscreen and a full QWERTY keyboard all wrapped into a sleek silver metal- finished arc slider handset. The Xperia X1 supports fast 3G networks, enabling audio and video streaming, high-speed internet surfing, multimedia messaging and email on the go. In addition to delivering 3G mobile broadband speeds, the Xperia X1 supports WiFi to meet the needs of consumers' always connected lifestyles.
In the tradition of Sony Ericsson, the Xperia X1 offers consumers the ultimate multimedia experience with a 3.2 megapixel camera, video streaming, video playback and video recording, and the ability to enjoy all their digital music.
"The Xperia X1 complements Sony Electronics' family of Windows-based devices and leverages the company's heritage of providing beautifully designed, highly functional, portable electronics," said John Kodera, vice president of product marketing, Sony Electronics. "The Xperia X1 delivers the highest quality entertainment, communication and personalization options for consumers."
Sony Ericsson Xperia(TM) X1 - At a Glance
3.2 megapixel camera
Bluetooth(TM) stereo (A2DP)4
Windows Media® Player Mobile
Internet Explorer® Mobile
Communication and Messaging
Picture messaging (MMS)9
Predictive text input
Text messaging (SMS)9
Optical joystick navigation
Windows Mobile® Operating System
Microsoft® Outlook® Mobile: email, contacts, calendar, tasks
Microsoft® Office Mobile: Word Mobile, Excel® Mobile, PowerPoint® Mobile
Utility Applications: file explorer, calculator, pictures & video, notes
Facts and Figures
Size: 110 x 53 x 16.7 mm (approx.)
Weight: 145 grams (approx.)
Available colors: Silver
Main screen: 65,536 color TFT
Resolution: 800 X 480 pixels
Size: 3 inches (approx.)
Phone memory5: up to 400 MB
microSD(TM) memory card support
UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 850/1900/2100 MHz
1) Facts and features are subject to change without notice and/or may vary depending on local variant.
2) Talk and standby times are affected by network preferences; type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. games. Kit contents and color options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market.
3) Compatible service required. Some features may not be supported by all operators or in all markets. Additional charges may apply.
4) Ability to use this Bluetooth(TM) enabled product with other devices may vary as not all Bluetooth(TM) devices are compatible.
5) Actual free memory may vary due to phone pre-configuration.
6) 3G not available in all areas or from all service providers.
7) Internet services may require a fee.
8) Both parties must be in a 3G area, have a phone enabled for video calling, and have a video calling service plan to use this feature. Video calling not offered by all service providers. Additional charges may apply.
9) Standard messaging rates apply.