Sierra Wireless today introduced the AirCard® 501 and the AirCard 502 ExpressCard modems for HSPA mobile broadband networks, providing fast, reliable Internet and intranet access for mobile professionals working away from the office.
The AirCard 501 and AirCard 502 ExpressCards offer top download speeds of up to 7.2 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of up to 5.76 Mbps, allowing mobile professionals to use their notebook computers from a parking lot just as easily as they can from their desks to send and retrieve large presentations, email attachments, and data-rich information like graphics or video.
With a durable internal antenna design that includes no moving parts and extends a mere three centimeters (1 1/8 inches) from the ExpressCard slot, the AirCard 501 and AirCard 502 can be safely stored in the computer, enabling quicker access and improving efficiency while working on the go. Installation is made quick and easy with the Sierra Wireless TRU-Install(TM) software installation utility, which steps the user through installation of drivers and software the first time the card is inserted into the slot.
"Sierra Wireless has a proven track record in providing high-quality, reliable wireless devices that enterprise customers trust to withstand heavy use," said Trent Punnett, senior vice president of Marketing and Corporate Development for Sierra Wireless. "The AirCard 501 and AirCard 502 have been designed with the requirements of mobile professionals in mind, offering reliable, top-notch wireless performance in a compact, durable form factor that is easy to install and use."
The AirCard 501 supports the 850, 1900, and 2100 MHz HSPA frequency bands that are commonly used on HSPA networks worldwide, while the AirCard 502 supports the 900, 1900, and 2100 MHz frequency bands and will be targeted toward specific markets requiring 900 MHz band support. Both modems are backward compatible with UMTS, EDGE and GSM networks around the world, providing users with the flexibility to roam.
Commercial shipments of the AirCard 501 ExpressCard are scheduled for later this month. Availability of the AirCard 502 ExpressCard is planned for the first quarter of 2009.
Sierra Wireless AirCard® 501 and AirCard® 502 ExpressCards
- Provides tri-band HSPA/UMTS support (850, 1900, and 2100 MHz band for AirCard 501; 900, 1900, and 2100 MHz band for AirCard 502)
- Potential data speeds of 7.2 Mbps on the downlink and 5.76 Mbps on the uplink
- TRU-Durability(TM), Sierra Wireless's rugged hardware is designed to deal with life on the road
- No CD required for installation, Sierra Wireless's TRU-Install(TM) software installation technology is preloaded on the device, guiding first-time users through quick installation of the drivers and full software client. Native support for Mac OS X 10.5.5 users is built into the operating system.
- Sierra Wireless Watcher(TM) connection manager offers an intuitive dashboard that provides status, performance, and network information