With kids trading in their books and backpacks for summer camp and beach towels, it's the right time to explore Usage Controls, a comprehensive set of tools from Verizon Wireless that helps parents better manage their children's wireless experience.
Usage Controls give parents the ability to comfortably and confidently provide wireless service for their children by managing how many text messages they are sending and what content they are viewing or understanding if they are accruing additional costs. Whether changing the voice or text allowances or time of day restrictions to better fit a summer schedule or checking out the content filters available for video, music and games, Usage Controls help parents control their wireless service and how others on Nationwide Single Line plans and Family SharePlans® use their phones.
Parents can stay on top of voice and data usage levels, helping avoid unexpected charges or overages. Since Usage Controls launched, the most popular transactions include editing time restrictions and adding blocked numbers to a line.
Parents and account owners can easily access Usage Controls through the My Verizon Web site (www.verizonwireless.com/myverizon), then change or update the settings under the Usage Controls tab. With the service, parents can:
* Set allowances for voice minutes and receive free text messages when a user is nearing and when they have reached the allowance
* Set specific limits for text, picture, instant and video messaging as part of pay-as-you-go or message bundle plans -- and receive free text messages alerting them when they are close to the threshold and when they have reached it
* Set time of day restrictions for data use and messaging
* Create lists of "trusted" and "blocked" numbers (calls to 911 are always allowed to connect)
* Employ content filters for music, games and other material
Usage Controls are available for a $4.99 monthly subscription for each line. Customers can find more information at www.verizonwireless.com/usagecontrols or by calling 1-800-2 JOIN IN.