To help companies meet the increasing demand for information delivered over mobile devices such as smartphones and cell phones, while avoiding the complexity of managing these devices, Verizon is unveiling a new managed mobility offering.
The offering, Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions, helps enterprises manage multiple mobile devices, usage plans and applications across multiple carriers around the globe. Delivering a comprehensive set of managed mobility services, the new mobility solution is a simple-to-use package that goes beyond the traditional offerings currently available.
Verizon's new suite of services also help customers combat security risks associated with data residing on mobile devices and supports the creation and launch of mobile enterprise applications, while measuring and assessing the success of corporatewide mobility programs. Recent studies indicate the use of mobile devices - including mobile phones, personal digital assistants and laptops - can greatly bolster productivity, enhance service delivery, and streamline business processes and decision-making.
Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions will help companies improve mobility programs by addressing five key areas. Enterprises can subscribe to one or more of the following modules.
* Inventory and Expense Management - Tracks mobile assets, usage and spending. Delivers consolidated and departmental reporting, as well as auditing, electronic billing and charge-back information for accounting purposes. The same platform can also track global wireline telecom spending.
* Logistics - Automates procurement workflow and device deployments across carriers via a centralized procurement portal. Defines approved devices by work group or function, and procures devices and tracks ordering process.
* Mobile Device Management - Delivers tools, applications and data to employees, where and when required, and creates and enforces flexible mobile policies across devices, groups or individual users.
* Mobile Security - Enforces access codes; establishes "lock/wipe" policies by which devices that are stolen or lost can be locked by the administrator and data wiped out; encrypts devices and data cards; delivers firewall and antivirus applications; and supports mobile access to corporate applications.
* Application Management - Supports mobile enterprise applications by enabling the deployment of new and enhanced applications, as well as the mobilization of business processes and traditional desktop applications.
"Mobility in the workplace is fast becoming a necessity, and IT decision-makers everywhere are seeking ways to enable the modern workforce - no simple task," said Nancy Gofus, senior vice president - global business products, Verizon. "IT organizations are struggling with the incredible magnitude of defining mobility requirements touching every part of an organization. Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions offers enterprises a comprehensive solution so they can take the guesswork out of supporting mobility."
According to leading independent research company Forrester Research, Inc., 73 percent of the global workforces will be enterprise mobile users by 2012. In real numbers, this represents 187.9 million enterprise mobile users in 2008, growing to 397.1 million users in 2012(1).
"Gartner research shows that a number of drivers are pushing companies of all sizes to seek innovative sourcing solutions, said Eric Goodness, research vice president, Gartner, Inc. Based on input from Gartner clients, we believe that the most successful approach is to bring service-based offerings to market that address mobile device and application management with integrated expense management. Integrated technology and financial management is what the market values most."
(1) "Enterprise Mobile User Forecast: Mobile 'Wannabes' Are the Fastest-Growing Segment," Forrester Research, Inc., October 9, 2008.
Comprehensive Solution Built with World-Class Technology
Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions will leverage the technology and expertise of leading mobility vendors. Quickcomm, a leading provider of global telecom expense management software and services, provides software that powers the inventory and expense management, and device logistics components of Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions. Sybase, an industry leader in delivering enterprise and mobile software to manage, analyze and mobilize information, supports the mobile device management and mobile security modules of the new Verizon service. Vodafone, Verizon's joint venture partner in Verizon Wireless, is working with Verizon to provide logistical support and fulfill device orders for areas outside the U.S.
Four of the Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions modules are targeted for a Sept. 30 launch in the U.S. and 19 countries in Europe, with a roll-out in the Asia-Pacific region slated for later this year. The fifth module, Application Management, is currently under development and is targeted for launch in 2010. Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions will be available through Verizon Business and Verizon Wireless.
Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions can also be supplemented with the company's new suite of complementary mobility IT consulting services designed to support the deployment and ongoing management of enterprisewide mobility programs.
Verizon Managed Mobility Solutions joins the company's already broad portfolio mobility services. Building on the power of its advanced collaboration platforms and expansive world-class wireline and wireless networks, Verizon's mobility offerings enable professionals to securely and seamlessly conduct business while away from the office.