3Q 2012 HIGHLIGHTS
* 56 cents in diluted earnings per share (EPS), compared with 49 cents per share in 3Q 2011 – a 14.3 percent increase.
* 64 cents per share in adjusted EPS (non-GAAP), which excludes 8 cents per share in charges, compared with 56 cents in adjusted EPS in 3Q 2011 – a 14.3 percent increase.
* 7.5 percent year-over-year increase in service revenues in 3Q 2012; 7.9 percent year-over-year increase in retail service revenues; 31.8 percent operating income margin and 50.0 percent segment EBITDA margin on service revenues (non-GAAP), both record highs.
* 1.8 million retail net additions, excluding acquisitions and adjustments, including 1.5 million retail postpaid net connections; low retail postpaid churn of 0.91 percent; 95.9 million total retail connections, 90.4 million total retail postpaid connections.
* 4G LTE service now available to more than 250 million people in 419 markets across the U.S.
Verizon Wireless Results: Record Profitability, Strong Customer and Revenue Growth
In third-quarter 2012, Verizon Wireless delivered the highest number of retail postpaid net additions in four years; strong growth in revenues; an increase in smartphone penetration; and the highest segment EBITDA margin on service revenues (non-GAAP) in the company's history, surpassing last quarter's previous high.
Wireless Financial Highlights
* Service revenues in the quarter totaled $16.2 billion, up 7.5 percent year over year. Retail service revenues grew 7.9 percent year over year, to $15.5 billion.
* Total revenues were $19.0 billion, up 7.3 percent year over year.
* Retail postpaid ARPA (average revenue per account) grew 6.5 percent over third-quarter 2011, to $145.42 per month. Following the recent introduction of the Share Everything Plan and as customers continue to add multiple devices to accounts, Verizon Wireless now reports ARPA instead of ARPU since customers can share data among multiple devices.
* Wireless operating income margin was 31.8 percent and segment EBITDA margin on service revenues (non-GAAP) was 50.0 percent, setting record highs for the second consecutive quarter.
Wireless Operational Highlights
* Verizon Wireless added 1.8 million retail net connections in the third quarter, including 1.5 million retail postpaid net connections, the highest in four years. These additions exclude acquisitions and adjustments.
* At the end of the third quarter, the company had 95.9 million retail connections, a 5.7 percent increase year over year, including 90.4 million retail postpaid connections.
* Verizon Wireless had 34.8 million retail postpaid accounts at the end of the third quarter, a 1.0 percent increase over the third quarter 2011, and an average of 2.6 connections per account, up 4.0 percent year over year.
* At the end of the third quarter, smartphones constituted more than 53 percent of Verizon Wireless' retail postpaid customer phone base, up from 50 percent at the end of second-quarter 2012.
* Retail postpaid churn was 0.91 percent in the third quarter, an improvement of 3 basis points year over year. Total retail churn was 1.18 percent in the third quarter, an improvement of 8 basis points year over year.
* Verizon Wireless continued to roll out its 4G LTE mobile broadband network, the largest 4G LTE network in the U.S. As of today (Oct. 18), Verizon Wireless 4G LTE service is available to more than 250 million people in 419 markets across the U.S.
* The company introduced seven 4G LTE smartphones in third-quarter 2012: the DROID Incredible 4G LTE by HTC, Samsung Galaxy S III, Pantech Marauder, Intuition by LG, Samsung Galaxy Stellar, DROID RAZR M by Motorola, Apple iPhone 5; and one 4G LTE tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. The company also announced the availability of the DROID RAZR HD and the RAZR MAXX HD by Motorola, which are launching today.
* After receiving FCC approval in late August, Verizon Wireless purchased AWS spectrum from SpectrumCo and Cox Communications, and also completed its spectrum transactions with T-Mobile USA Inc., Leap Wireless and Savary Island Wireless.
Wireline Results: Accelerated Consumer Revenue and ARPU Growth
In third-quarter 2012 in the Wireline segment, FiOS revenue growth led to strong overall revenue growth among U.S. consumer customers. In global enterprise and wholesale, increased sales of strategic services helped mitigate lower revenues resulting from continued secular and global economic impacts.