mystified

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
helios

Sep 12, 2011
10:27 PM EDT
Woke up this morning to find the "black screen of Oh Cr@p" on my monitor. No updates or changes on this machine for ages as it is my prime mover for working at home and I have it pretty locked down. I think I'm even using Firefox 3.6 for stability. This is Ubuntu 10.04.

On reboot I got the same thing, a flash of text pouring down the page then stopping with the following line. Nothing is different in any of the lines except the numbers in brackets:

udevd-work<1085> exec of program /lib/udev/usb_d failed

Two spaces down the final line is:

init: failed to spawn cryptdisks - enable main process: unable to execute: Permission Denied.

I did access my home directory with a live cd and what I noticed is that most of the folders in there belong to "user 1000" and are marked as root access only with an X next to them.

Of course, the ubuntu forums are their regular useful self:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1511802.html Some poor guy asking a similar question and all he gets is crickets chirping.

Any clues to how this bit of Black Magic happened or how to fix it?
gus3

Sep 12, 2011
10:37 PM EDT
Check the logs of the past few days, especially network access logs.

UID 1000 is you, under a regular boot. Check the /etc/passwd on the hard drive.

Also, simply the diagnosis labor by mounting the root volume on /mnt, then running "chroot /mnt /bin/bash". You'll then have a shell on the primary drive to work with.
jdixon

Sep 13, 2011
8:20 AM EDT
Ken, the first step is to make sure your system is backed up. If you haven't done so, do that first.

Second, I'd guess filesystem corruption. Try running fsck on the filesystem, assuming it's not an encrypted one.
helios

Sep 14, 2011
5:30 PM EDT
Check the logs of the past few days, especially network access logs.

Hey gus, thank you. What am I looking for there?
gus3

Sep 14, 2011
6:34 PM EDT
Incoming connection attempts that you can't explain, whether they were successful or not.
helios

Sep 14, 2011
10:07 PM EDT
No, nothing strange there. That's the first thing I checked but there have been no illicit connection attempts. I restored an old install on another partition and imported the important settings from the old partition so I am good. Now I am really more interested in the hows and whys. Not finding a lot on this when I search.
usacomputertec

Sep 25, 2011
10:18 PM EDT
I've had a similar issue in Debian Squeeze. It's why JULinux 10 hasn't been released. I'm not sure if your problem is related or not Ken but I do know a more likely culprit but first I'll tell you about mine:

My Problem with Debian: They made Remastersys for Debian, but it doesn't exactly work right (and that's why Mint fixed or made their own) and so when I used Remastersys and made a Live DVD of Debian I had one major problem, and it was a user name and password authentication error. The permissions got all screwed up for some reason, most likely a different user number situation like your talking about.

Your likely problem: I've seen this kind of thing happen randomly with Ubuntu before, however I think there is an explanation. I believe that an application given sudo user permissions running as root saved or created files or even just modified them changing their permissions. This is usually the case with what your describing. I find when I have this problem most of the time it's an ID10T error, but in less often cases I've found that applications acted without my knowing about it that changed the permissions. One thing you will notice is if you open sudo nautilus and move, shave, or change a file the permissions for it will change to root only unless you change the permissions by hand before exiting nautilus or if you edit them using the Terminal.

Hope this helps. By the way Ken I'm working on something very big that will end all this madness and I'd like to include you in it so that you can have some say as to how things turn out.
helios

Sep 26, 2011
12:52 AM EDT
That will work for me. My work flow and schedule just hasn't allowed me time to delve into this further/...I took the easy way out, transferred my home folder to an alternate install on another partition and all is good.

However, I have explored the PEBCAK possibility and can't remember doing anything that might have caused this. Of course, we often do things off hand and don't give them a thought until disaster strikes.

I'd be interested in knowing more about what you are doing. helios at fixedbylinux dott kommm

You cannot post until you login.