xandros error message

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
rbisys

Mar 16, 2012
2:19 PM EDT
Greetings,

OK guys, time to help a newbie. I notice that there is little or no discussion of xandros on this forum. Why? If there is something better, particularly for a (74 year old) novice, what is it?

I tried down load'g xandros but I get an error message: cyjx11-6.dll

I tried to contact xandros on their forum but I was banned. Are my higher powers trying to tell me something?

I'm running a Dell, GX 520 and will use mostly for doc and web, which is the main reason to go to linux for the lower virus attacks.

Thanks for any help available..
Fettoosh

Mar 16, 2012
3:15 PM EDT
Quoting:I notice that there is little or no discussion of xandros on this forum. Why?

Let's just say that no one deserves the troubles of Xandros.

Before making any suggestion, let me just say that the hardest part in running Linux is the sheer number of choices, and there are many of them. The best choice is what you like and feel comfortable with not what someone else suggests. To find that best choice, it would be a good idea for you to try a few.

Now, in terms of suggestions, I can guarantee that this is something you won't have a shortage of. Different people will have different recommendations. But the nice this is, no matter what Distro they recommend, the Operating System (OS) and applications will basically be the same. The only difference will be in the interface, which depends on what Desktop Environment you choose.

As a newbie, here is what I recommend and the order I, not necessarily any one else, prefer them

Ubuntu and its variations (linux-mint: excellent, Kubuntu, Xubuntu) Any of these would be way far better than Xandros.

Then you have PCLinuxOS, Mepis, Fedora, OpenSuse etc.

If you have MS apps to run, Your best bet is to get Virtual Box installed to run them.

If you need help, Google is your friend, plus there are forums on the Internet for whatever Distro you choose.

To enjoy Linux, you need to learn Linux. It is not hard at all and to many, it is even easier than Windows. the only catch is, you just have to take time to learn it.

alc

Mar 16, 2012
3:20 PM EDT
A quick look at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=xandros shows that it's been discontinued. You might be better off trying something like Mint. http://linuxmint.com/ I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.
jdixon

Mar 16, 2012
3:59 PM EDT
I believe it was Ken Starks who told me that he'd had the best luck with the 3 M's. Mint, Mepis, and Mandriva.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 16, 2012
4:16 PM EDT
I had a fondness for PCLinuxOS last time I was meandering about, but any LiveCD should do as an introduction.

Rbisys, take Alc's point to heart, if it's discontinued that is a very good reason to not try it.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions as you're learning. We all did!

And welcome.
tracyanne

Mar 16, 2012
4:23 PM EDT
I didn't know xandros was still functioning. I'd recommend Linux Mint
rbisys

Mar 16, 2012
8:30 PM EDT
Greetings, Thank you all. I was looking for a simple download that would not be any more complicated than installing MS. I was going to try ubuntu until I saw the ubuntu distro posting.

I think the xandros people had the right idea but their marketing to the common folk isn't what I'd expect.

The other thing I'm concern about is the sharing of MY WIFE"S computer. I'm planning on getting a larger HD and partitioning it. She doesn't want linux mixed in with with her MS.

tracyanne

Mar 16, 2012
8:48 PM EDT
Quoting:I was looking for a simple download that would not be any more complicated than installing MS.

Um that would apply to almost any of the mainstream Linux distributions, like Fedora, Ubuntu, Magia, PCLinux OS, Linux Mint, in fact they would be easier, actually.

See this http://freethinkerspub.yuku.com/topic/10296/Windows-v-Linux-...

Quoting:OK, so you might say that I'm biased but I'll try not to allow my penchante for Linux to taint my view and will attempt to remain objective.

By circumstances, I'm having to use Windows 7 and, since I haven't used it much since it came out because I've been using Linux Mint, I am having to learn Windows again.
jdixon

Mar 16, 2012
9:57 PM EDT
> The other thing I'm concern about is the sharing of MY WIFE"S computer. I'm planning on getting a larger HD and partitioning it. She doesn't want linux mixed in with with her MS.

A good sized hard drive will run you over $100 at today's prices.

Allow me to recommend a reasonably priced alternative:

http://www.cedarpc.com/product/19098/HP-Pavillion-a1118x--19...

It comes preloaded with Ubuntu 10.04, which is the long term support version with the full Gnome 2 user interface. Replacing it with Mint when your ready should be a fairly simple task. It's not a speed demon of a machine, but it's more than powerful enough to run Linux well. It's only real limitation might be it's onboard graphics, which are probably an Intel chipset and not well suited to 3d gaming.

I haven't dealt with CedarPC myself, so I can't speak to their quality or service, but the fact that they even offer Linux is a mark in their favor.

This assumes you're in the US, of course, which I realize isn't a given.
nikkels

Mar 17, 2012
4:51 AM EDT
I don't know which is the best distro, but my experience with novices is that a lot of them start with PCLinuxOS. Some stay, and some start distro hopping

I only recommend 2 for beginners. PCLinuxOS and LinuxMint

Once you got the hang of one of them, you can try others without to much trouble

Both of them have a friendly forum.
Fettoosh

Mar 17, 2012
11:12 AM EDT
See, I did say you will have many good suggestions didn't I?

I am not a newbie any more, I was one long time ago. So to help you make a decision and after disclosing additional information, here what I would do.

Take Jdixson's suggestion and buy yourself that device or similar to it. It will cost you just about as much as the disk drive you are planning to purchase any how, but you will have the flexibility and freedom to do whatever you want with it but without having to wary about getting your wife upset with you. :-)

For a newbie, take nikkels' advice and try PCLinuxOS first. It used to be my favorite once because it is one of the most stable and reliable Distros. It is completely configured to work right off the bat and you don't have to add much to get going with every thing. PCLinuxOS is what Xandros was supposed to be.

Take Bob's suggestion to use Live CDs. Almost all Linux Distros come on live CDs, which allows you to boot from the CD itself, work with it as long as you need to decide which one is most suitable and comfortable to you. Heck you even can use the live CD to run Linux on your wife's computer without harming anything. Just reboot without the CD in and Windows will be back with all its viruses.:-)

Don't forget what Bob said Don't hesitate to ask more questions as you're learning. We all did!

For me, learning Linux was one of the joys of computers. So good luck and have fun.

Steven_Rosenber

Mar 17, 2012
3:50 PM EDT
Any of the suggested distributions should work. Think of it as the start of a new, geeky adventure.

You cannot post until you login.