Nokia and Europolitan Vodafone have signed an agreement regarding the delivery of UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) networks for Europolitan Vodafone. Nokia will be the systems supplier for both the core network and radio access, and will also deliver implementation and technical maintenance services.
Deliveries will start in August 2001, and the launch of the network is scheduled for 2002. The agreement covers equipment for the infrastructure that Europolitan Vodafone is constructing in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malm and Karlskrona (providing at least 30 per cent of the population coverage for Sweden). The agreement does not cover the remaining infrastructure that Europolitan Vodafone and Hi3G are jointly constructing via the company they co-own, 3G Infrastructure Services AB.
"Our choice of Nokia will give our customers access to all of Europolitan Vodafone's services regardless of which network they use (GSM, GPRS or UMTS), since Nokia previously supplied these as well. Cost-efficiency and quality have also been crucial to our choice," says Jon Risfelt, CEO at Europolitan Vodafone.
Nokia supplied Europolitan Vodafone's first GSM system in 1991 and subsequently also delivered WAP and GPRS services before being selected as the company's 3G supplier. The GSM/UMTS system that is being developed by Nokia and Europolitan Vodafone will gradually progress to become a fully IP based system using UMTS and GPRS elements.
"This agreement is yet another milestone in the relationship that our two companies have enjoyed over the last 10 years," says Simon Beresford-Wylie, Vice President of Nokia Networks' Vodafone customer team. "We are delighted to have been given the opportunity to be part of Europolitan's success in meeting its customers' requirements in one of the world's most advanced telecoms markets. We are naturally also thrilled to be able to pursue our close working relationship now that Europolitan Vodafone is preparing its entry into the 3G era."
The agreement also serves to confirm Nokia's leading role in the global rollout of UMTS systems. Nokia has been selected as a 3G partner by 25 operators in Asia, the US and Europe. Nokia's UMTS solution is based on standard platforms and open interfaces, which are crucial to the rapid deployment of 3G services. The UMTS solution symbolises the future for mobile communication, and IP (Internet Protocol) based technologies form the core of the mobile network. UMTS will facilitate the introduction of wireless access to multimedia services and will provide a powerful boost to network capacity for both voice services and combined voice and multimedia services.
Europolitan Vodafone is a mobile operator with a license to build 3G mobile telecoms networks. Our strength lies in our focus on developing international services, service and quality. Europolitan Vodafone employs some 1,400 people and is listed on the Attract 40 list of the OM Stockholm Stock Exchange through Europolitan Holdings AB. The company's majority owner is Vodafone of the UK, with 71 per cent of Europolitan Holdings. The remaining 29 per cent is owned by private shareholders, investment companies and pension funds. The Vodafone Group is represented on 5 continents and has around 80 million customers (proportional number of customers calculated on the basis of ownership). For more information, please visit www.europolitan.se and www.vodafone.com.
Nokia is the world leader in mobile communications. Backed by its experience, innovation, user-friendliness and secure solutions, the company has become the leading supplier of mobile phones and a leading supplier of mobile, fixed broadband and IP networks. By adding mobility to the Internet Nokia creates new opportunities for companies and further enriches the daily lives of people. Nokia is a broadly held company with listings on six major exchanges.