Linksys today announced its Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge (WET54G) allowing any device equipped with an Ethernet Port to connect to a wireless network without drivers. On a Wireless-G network, the bridge speeds data at up to 54Mbps. It is also fully compatible with widely deployed 802.11b networks (at 11 Mbps).
"The Linksys Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge is an exciting addition to our current Wireless-G family," said Mike Wagner, Director of Marketing. "It's extremely versatile -- a great wireless solution for network printers, gaming consoles, video cameras, point of sale systems, and a host of other devices. Now, anything with Ethernet can go wireless with plenty of bandwidth for applications requiring high data rates."
The Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge is equipped with one standard 10/100 Mbps LAN interface to connect to any Ethernet-ready networked device. The WET54G is driver-free, allowing it to work on any platform and under any operating system. In the home, a wide variety of devices can connect to a Wireless-G or 802.11b network, including the Microsoft XboxTM, and the Turtle BeachTM AudioTronTM digital music player.
The setup is easy -- configure the network setting through a PC's web browser, then plug it in to the device you want to go wireless. The physical installation is simplified by support for Power Over Ethernet (POE). With an optional POE Adapter, the Bridge can be mounted on the wall or ceiling without the challenge of running an AC power line.
With its sleek new look, the WET54G is the industry's first wireless Ethernet Bridge supporting the draft IEEE 802.11g standard. The WET54G operates in the same bandwidth as 802.11b, and can be configured either for 11g only or mixed mode.
Features for the Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge include:
* Connect any Ethernet-equipped device to a Wireless-G or 802.11b network.\
* Operates in the 2.4GHz frequency spectrum with data rates up to 54 Mbps.
* Complies with the IEEE draft 802.11g standard and backward compatible with IEEE and Wi-Fi Certified 802.11b products.
* Installs in minutes with easy to use Setup Wizard.
* Built-in web UI for easy configuration from any web browser.
* Security of up to 128-bit WEP encryption.
* Supports Power over Ethernet for easy deployment.
* Ubicom IP2022 processor and software for high speed processing of data and images.
* Equipped with one standard 10/100 interface.
Pricing and Availability
The Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge (WET54G) is immediately available through retail, E-commerce, catalog, direct response and distribution channels at an estimated street price of $179.