NEC Solutions (America), Inc., today introduced the NEC MobilePro 900c, the next generation of its popular MobilePro Handheld PC (H/PC) product family line and the first NEC MobilePro platform based on the Microsoft Windows CE .NET operating system.
The MobilePro 900c is a new enterprise-class ultra portable mobile platform that shares many of the performance and usability features of its predecessor, the MobilePro 900, however, the key differentiator with the new MobilePro 900c is its standardization on the new Windows CE .NET operating system 4.2, the successor to Microsoft's Windows CE 3.0 platform. With CE .NET, the MobilePro 900c is optimized with better support for secure and scalable networking, enhanced processing speed and performance, richer multimedia and Web browsing capabilities, and greater interoperability with personal computers, servers, Web services, and other mobile devices. Additionally, the MobilePro 900c provides customers with a simple and cost-effective solution for migrating their Windows CE 3.0-based applications to the new Windows CE .NET architecture.
The MobilePro 900c is an "instant on" ultra portable handheld PC that weighs less than two pounds(1), yet features a near full-size keyboard(2) and a sharp, flip-up-style 8.1-inch HVGA (640 x 240) display that has touch screen functionality. It is engineered with an Intel PXA255 400MHz processor and is optimized with the Windows CE .NET Cache Write-Back System. The MobilePro 900c is also available with:
* 64MB of SDRAM base memory which includes 32MB of Flash ROM for customer applications.
* CE .NET integrated viewers for popular Windows applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe PDF files.
* Custom applications to aid with Personal Information Management (PIM), including e-mail, scheduling, task, and contact management.
* Lithium-ion battery that can provide up to 8 hours(3) of power depending upon use. An optional, larger battery is also available, which offers up to 16 hours of power.
* Integrated 56Kbps V.90 modem, a PC Card Type I/II slot, a Compact Flash Type I/II slot and an infrared (Fast IR) port. New Internet connectivity and mobile synchronization software are also bundled with the product.
* Improved USB functionality which allows users to connect several peripherals to the product, including but not limited to, a full-size keyboard, a mouse, a CD/DVD drive, and a USB memory key.(4)
Availability & Pricing
The NEC MobilePro 900c is available now through select resellers, including CDW, Mobile Planet and PC Connection. List price begins at $899 (U.S.).(5)