Openwave Systems Inc. announced that it has entered into an agreement with NTT DoCoMo, whereby Openwave will support i-mode functionality across its product portfolio. This comprehensive i-mode solution from Openwave has been accepted by DoCoMo to help accelerate the expansion of i-mode services in Europe, Asia and other markets.
In addition to the previously announced support of i-mode in Openwave Phone Suite Version 7 (V7) the agreement enables Openwave to offer i-mode compliance in all server products, including Openwave Mobile Access Gateway (MAG), Openwave Email Mx, Openwave Multimedia Messaging Services Center (MMSC), and Openwave Portal Support, as well as technical services to build out a successful ecosystem.
i-mode is the mobile Internet service that allows its subscribers to access more than 82,000 Internet sites, as well as specialized services such as e-mail, online shopping and banking, ticket reservations, and restaurant advice. The popular i mode service has already been launched in a number of countries throughout Europe and Asia, each with unique content. Currently, more than 45 million subscribers across Europe and Asia have signed up for the i-mode service since its launch in 1999 by DoCoMo. With this announcement, Openwave builds upon its successful WAP experience and enables operators to offer subscribers access to i-mode content in addition to the WAP content they are already using with Openwave's products.
This server-side agreement complements Openwave's previously achieved goal of establishing its i-mode compatible client software in Europe. Openwave recently announced its i-mode compatible Openwave Mail Client and Openwave Mobile Browser Version 7 had shipped on the Sagem SG321i handset. This is one of the first i-mode phones to be produced by a European manufacturer and is available in France through mobile operator Bouygues Telecom.
About Openwave i-mode Solution Products
Operators deploying Openwave's server offerings for i-mode will enable a more intuitive and integrated experience. Openwave is reconfiguring the following products for operator and manufacturer customers interested in launching i-mode services:
* Openwave Mobile Access Gateway (MAG) is the most proven, interoperable and standards-compliant WAP gateway supporting all new WAP handsets entering the market.
* Openwave Email Mx is a highly scalable messaging system that enables an integrated, bundled messaging solution, provides a new web mail interface, and offers customers personalized mail filtering options.
* Openwave Multimedia Messaging Services Center (MMSC) is the most flexible platform in the industry, giving operators the freedom to launch new services and maintain a highly differentiated offering over time. As MMS handsets evolve and become widely available, Openwave MMSC will support the broadest possible range of handset models.
* Openwave Portal Support is a service that is provided on a customized basis to individual carriers around the world in support of the i-mode specification.
* Openwave Mobile Browser Version 7 is compliant with mobile Internet standards and supports a wide variety of mobile phones, networks and languages.
* Openwave Mail Client for i-mode underpins the i mode messaging service with support for i-mode Mail and i-MMS.