Nextel and Motorola announced the availability of Direct TalkSM, a unique service that provides a back-up off-network walkie-talkie service for use when customers are outside Nextel network coverage areas. This service, available only on the Motorola i315 and i325 from Nextel, provides a range of up to six miles*. Nextel is the first national carrier to offer this type of off-network service integrated directly into a cellular handset.
Direct Talk is the first service of its kind to allow digital group and private walkie-talkie calls through 10 channels and 15 privacy codes, allowing for higher voice quality than traditional analog radio communications. The user can easily activate Direct Talk by entering "off-network mode" through the phone's keypad. Direct Talk is also the only service that provides users with an acknowledgement tone, letting them know instantly whether or not someone is available on their channel.
The Motorola i315 and i325 rugged handsets are the first handsets equipped with the off-network walkie-talkie feature. The handsets are designed for use by public sector and field-based workers, as well as people who enjoy rugged outdoor activities, who may require a durable handset with a back-up communications system.
Key features of the Motorola i315 and the i325 include:
- Nextel Direct Connect TM instant walkie-talkie service -- Nextel's coast-to-coast and country-to-country digital walkie-talkie service
- Rain-Resistant -- Certified to Military Standard 810 F for blowing rain, humidity, and salt fog
- Rugged Design -- Performs in extreme outdoor conditions and stands up to dusty environments, drops, and exposure to vibration from heavy machinery use and hot/cold climates
Additionally, the Motorola i325 includes these unique features:
- Emergency Call Button (for Public Sector use only) -- Provides priority, preemptive access to network resources during times of heavy congestion
- Priority Connect (for Public Sector use only) -- this feature intelligently applies five levels of priority service to place a Direct Connect call ahead of others in time of network congestion
- Talkgroup Scan Service Support -- Monitor communications on up to four talkgroups simultaneously
- Fixed antenna for durable and enhanced performance in fringe areas
- JavaTM technology-enabled
Pricing for the Motorola i315 is $174.99 with a 2-year contract. The Motorola i325 is available for $399.99 with a 2-year contract.
* Direct Talk is an all-digital off-network walkie-talkie service that works between compatible phones in up to a six-mile range under optimal conditions. Terrain, weather, foliage, and usage in or near vehicles and structures (such as buildings), among other things, may decrease performance and result in a significantly shorter range.