QUALCOMM Incorporated announced the on-time sampling of the industry's first chipset for CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision A, the Mobile Station Modem (MSM) MSM6800 chipset, optimized to drive demand for data-intensive wireless multimedia. The high-performance, fully integrated MSM6800 single-chip solution, part of QUALCOMM's Enhanced Multimedia Platform, provides a full suite of integrated multimedia features to deliver significantly increased processing capacity and optimized audio, video, camera and graphics capabilities.
"QUALCOMM is proud to deliver the next step in the migration of EV-DO technology," said Dr. Sanjay K. Jha, president of QUALCOMM CDMA Technologies. "The on-time sampling of our MSM6800 chipset underscores QUALCOMM's commitment to the timely commercialization of 1xEV-DO Rev. A networks and services, enabling our OEM and operator partners to quickly respond to market demand for higher quality wireless multimedia."
QUALCOMM's 1xEV-DO Rev. A solutions also include the Cell Site Modem (CSM) CSM6800 device, which sampled in December 2004. The CSM6800 device has been chosen by several leading vendors for infrastructure and test equipment, which QUALCOMM believes will ensure rapid development of equipment system software and hardware for global CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A commercialization.
CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev. A supports faster data rates and higher system capacity to enable operators to offer in-demand, next-generation wireless multimedia:
* Optimized for packet data service. Supports peak data rates of up to 3.1 Mbps on the forward link and up to 1.8 Mbps on the reverse link for richer multimedia services.
* Supports Quality of Service (QoS). Delivers an enhanced user experience for delay-sensitive applications, including a variety of IP-based services such as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and real-time conversational services such as push to talk, video telephony, low-delay gaming and 'instant multimedia' (an extension of push to talk that combines immediate voice with simultaneous delivery of video and pictures).
* Supports 1xEV-DO Gold Multicast. Enables network operators to provide multimedia services that deliver high-quality video and audio to a large number of users simultaneously. If standards progress permits, the MSM6800 chipset will also support 1xEV-DO Platinum Multicast.
QUALCOMM's MSM6800 solution eliminates the need for applications co-processors to provide a high-performance, power-efficient, single-chip solution that reduces bill-of-materials costs enabling the development of more cost-effective solutions for 1xEV-DO-based wireless devices. The MSM6800 chipset supports leading and next-generation wireless multimedia, including:
* Camera. Integrated Qcamera digital camera supports up to 4.0 megapixel for album-quality digital images.
* Video. Qtv support at 30 fps QVGA for crisp, on-demand video and Qcamcorder support at 15 fps QVGA for camcorder-quality movies.
* Graphics. 100k triangles/second. 7M pixels/second graphics functionality for console-quality gaming and graphics.
* Audio. 3D sound and MP3/AAC/aacPlus audio support for portable CD-quality listening.
* Position Location. gpsOne position-location assisted-GPS (A-GPS) solution, with an enhanced GPS engine for greater sensitivity and accuracy, and support for commercially deployed consumer location-based services.
* Connectivity. Mobile Digital Display Interface (MDDI) for reliable, low-power mobile display functionality and camera connectivity, and integrated Bluetooth 1.2 baseband processor for wireless connectivity to peripherals.
QUALCOMM's MSM6800 solution supports Japan CDMA/Cellular (800 MHz), Cellular (850 MHz) and high-band Korean PCS (1800 MHz)/PCS (1900 MHz) frequency with the radioOne RFR6500/RFT6150 configuration. This MSM6800 solution also supports Japan CDMA/Cellular (800 MHz), Cellular (850 MHz) and IMT (2100 MHz) frequency with the radioOne RFR6525/RFT6150 configuration. Both configurations support receive diversity, which uses an additional antenna and associated receive chain to provide improved signal reception, enabling higher data throughput and significant increases in network capacity, especially in dense urban environments.
The MSM6800 chipset is part of QUALCOMM's Enhanced Multimedia Platform, which includes the MSM6150, MSM6275, MSM6280 and MSM6550 solutions - integrated chipsets with support for all major air interfaces that deliver increased processing capacity and lower power consumption to drive the global demand for 3G enhanced-multimedia products and services.
The Enhanced Multimedia Platform supports QUALCOMM's Launchpad suite of advanced multimedia, connectivity, position location, user interface and removable storage functionality, including QUALCOMM's gpsOne solution, the world's most broadly deployed A-GPS handset technology.
The Enhanced Multimedia Platform chipsets also support the BREW ecosystem, which enables the development and monetization of advanced applications and content, allowing operators and OEMs to differentiate their products and services and increase revenues. QUALCOMM's chipsets are also compatible with the Java runtime environment (J2ME) which can be built entirely on the chipset as an extension to the BREW solution.