MontaVista Software, Inc., the leading Linux provider for the telecommunications market, announced MontaVista Linux Carrier Grade Edition 4.0 (CGE). CGE 4.0 integrates the latest Linux 2.6 kernel with the most advanced hard real-time capabilities, new and unique clustering services, and the broadest AdvancedTCA hardware support available in the market.
As the fourth-generation release, CGE 4.0 is the only Linux in the market that is proven in terms of quality, strict feature requirements and advanced technologies. With CGE 4.0, network equipment providers (NEPs) can quickly create and deliver highly reliable, cost-effective, next generation communication systems without the concerns naturally attributable to first-generation products.
"NEPs demand a solution that is both field-proven and technologically advanced. As the telecom industry responds to the extreme pressure to redesign their networks and introduce new advanced capabilities, they need the confidence that the software platform they are building upon can help them achieve their design goals, but at the same time not put their project schedules at risk," said Jim Ready, CEO and president, MontaVista Software. "As the only fourth-generation carrier grade Linux in the world, CGE 4.0 builds upon four years of experience in enabling network equipment providers to combine cost-effective off-the-shelf (COTS) components with advanced Linux technologies so they can confidently build and deploy reliable, feature-rich, carrier-class solutions."
CGE 4.0 is the industry's most field tested and proven Linux distribution in the market. It is the only carrier grade Linux deployed by the world's leading NEPs into carrier networks for over three generations of product, and it serves as the foundation for advanced telecom solutions currently in design. CGE is also the only carrier grade Linux operating system that achieved the strict requirements of both the Service Availability Forum (SA Forum) Application Interface Specifications for high availability services and the Open Source Development Labs (OSDL) Carrier Grade Linux 2.0 Requirements.
"MontaVista Linux is a strategic development platform for Motorola," said Wade Campbell, strategic marketing director, Embedded Communications Computing, Motorola. "With MontaVista's industry expertise in delivering a carrier-grade operating system, we are confident that CGE 4.0 will continue to address the unique requirements of the telecom industry and enable Motorola to continue delivering integrated and validated communications servers for our customers to build their next generation applications."
"There is a strong trend among many of our customers to adopt AdvancedTCA platforms with carrier-grade Linux," said Steve Price, director of marketing, Infrastructure Processor Division at Intel. "MontaVista Linux CGE 4.0 coupled with our Intel(R) architecture-based processors and network processors will be ideal building blocks for network equipment providers to achieve faster time to market and better price/performance."
In addition to being embraced by the world's leading hardware partners, CGE 4.0 leads the industry in support from the richest ecosystem of carrier class ISVs. This combination enables telecommunication equipment manufacturers to quickly and effectively build robust service applications and high availability services.
"The telecom market is moving toward interoperability and standards-based designs, giving original equipment manufacturers and telecom equipment manufacturers flexible building blocks to help them create reliable and secure solutions," said Ari Valtanen, co-founder, senior vice president and CTO, Solid Information Technology. "MontaVista Linux CGE 4.0 is the ideal platform for Solid to deliver our highly reliable data management solution for developing applications for the communications industry."
CGE 4.0 is an open and flexible development platform designed specifically to address the unique and demanding requirements of carrier grade class applications with a strong focus on open standards and high availability services.
CGE 4.0 Features Include:
* Current Industry Standards
* Latest stable version of Linux 2.6.10 kernel
* OSDL's Carrier Grade Linux 2.0 specification compliance
* Support for the SA Forum Hardware Platform Interface and Application Interface Specifications
* Advanced Real-Time Support
* Integrated real time technology with performance benchmarks achieving 200 times more responsive in preemption latency than the standard 2.6 kernel
* New interrupt handler scheduling as prioritized threads
* New Real time configuration option with four selectable modes
* High Availability Services and Redundant Hardware Support
* Application protection facilities including cluster membership, fault detection, checkpointing, event service and cluster messaging services
* ATCA Hot Swap
* Ethernet link failover and aggregation
* Reliable and redundant file system support including journaling and disk mirroring (RAID, DRDB)
* Kernel resource monitoring framework
* IPMI Hardware Management
* System event broker and event log with remote access
* Kernel dumps across LAN, in-memory, disk with advanced crash analysis tools
* Deployed system debugging and live application level patching facility
* Broad Platform Support
* Supports latest Advanced Telecommunications Computing Architecture (ATCA) platforms
* 10 processor families (32/64 bit) across multiple architectures
* MontaVista DevRocket(TM) Development Environment Enhancements
* High performance multithreaded design
* Improved debugger capabilities
* Enhanced integration of open source development tools
* Built on updated Eclipse 3.0.1 and CDT 2.1 technology
MontaVista Linux Carrier Grade Edition 4.0 release candidate for select platforms is available for download.