* AT&T* and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) announce the upcoming availability of the Samsung Evergreen™, a quick messaging phone built with 70% recycled post-consumer plastics and packaging that utilizes 80% recycled post-consumer paper.
* Samsung Mobile announced it will donate $1 for every Samsung Evergreen device sold, with a maximum donation of $100,000, to the non-profit organization Cell Phones for Soldiers®.
* The Evergreen will be available beginning November 7 at AT&T company owned stores nationwide or at AT&T for $29.99 after $50 mail-in rebate (pay $79.99 and after mail-in rebate receive $50 AT&T Promotion Card. Two-year agreement and $20 a month messaging or combination of messaging/data plan required).
The Evergreen meets strict RoHS standards (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive)( 1), including being free of PVC(2), BFR(3) and Beryllium and is powered by an Energy Star Version 2.0 qualified energy efficient charger (level V) with standby power loss less than 0.03W and an energy efficiency of less than 75 percent. The Evergreen's packaging is made from 80 percent recycled post-consumer paper, uses soy ink and is 100 percent recyclable(4). Inside the box, customers will find a CD, replacing the traditional paper user guide, with information on an interactive tutorial, the phone's user manual, games & apps and AT&T's recycling program. In addition, the device features eco-oriented wallpaper and ringtones.
To celebrate the launch of the Evergreen, Samsung Mobile announced it will donate $1 for every device sold, with a maximum donation of $100,000, to the non-profit organization Cell Phones for Soldiers®. Cell Phones for Soldiers was founded by teenagers Robbie and Brittany Bergquist from Norwell, Mass., with $21 of their own money. Since then, the registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization has raised millions of dollars in donations and distributed millions of prepaid calling cards to soldiers serving overseas. Samsung Mobile and AT&T encourage consumers to give back to both the environment and to the armed forces serving overseas.
In 2009, AT&T collected more than 4.2 million cell phones for reuse and recycling and over 1.8 million pounds of batteries and accessories. AT&T offers customers three ways to donate old cell phones and accessories: drop-off bins in our 2,000-plus retail locations; free, prepaid mailing envelopes available in the stores; and postage-paid mailing labels available via our web site at AT&T Reuse & Recycle.
The Evergreen, which has a 2.4" display, features a full slide-out QWERTY keyboard for effortless typing and texting. With one-key access to messages, staying in touch with friends and family is easy and fun. Additional key features include a 2.0 megapixel camera and video camcorder, AT&T Navigator and stereo Bluetooth® wireless technology v2.1 + SSP. The Evergreen also includes dual-band 3G connectivity and quad-band GSM technology, which allows AT&T customers to make calls in more than 220 countries and download data in more than 195.
"This year AT&T worked to provide simpler solutions for customers, first with the ZERO charger and now the Samsung Evergreen," said Michael Woodward, vice president, Mobile Phone Portfolio, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. "Taking steps to reduce the amount of environmentally sensitive materials in the device and increase the amount of recycled paper in packaging are small steps, which in the end, lead to a healthier environment."
"Samsung Mobile is committed to making our products more eco-friendly(5) and we are proud to offer AT&T customers an eco-centric(5) device with an impressive feature set and stylish design," said Omar Khan, Chief Strategy Officer, Samsung Mobile. "The Evergreen is made of 70% post-consumer recycled plastics and as a whole is 83% recyclable(4). It also features reduced and recyclable packaging(4), a CD to replace the user manual and an Energy Star qualified charger. "
"We support AT&T's approach to incorporating environmental considerations directly into regular, ongoing discussions with suppliers and the company's desire to improve the overall environmental impact of all handsets," said Eric Olson, Senior Vice President, Advisory Services, BSR. "Through our interactions with AT&T, we feel that AT&T's work on handsets is consistent with its broader focus on sustainability issues, as evidenced by the recognition AT&T has received through the Carbon Disclosure Project and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America,".
For more information on the Evergreen, please visit the AT&T Web site.
For more information regarding AT&T's overall sustainability initiatives, please visit www.att.com/csr.
(1) Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive, 2002/95/EC as amended.
(2) Polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
(3) Brominated flame retardants (BFR).
(4) Recycling programs for the Evergreen and packaging may not exist in all areas.
(5) The term "eco-friendly" and "eco-centric" refer to the product, packaging and recycling initiatives as described in this release and applicable product documentation, websites, and other referenced programs.
(6) Limited-time offer. Other conditions & restrictions apply. See contract & rate plan brochure for details. Subscriber must live & have a mailing addr. within AT&T's owned wireless network coverage area. Up to $36 activ. fee applies. Equipment price & avail may vary by mrk & may not be available from independent retailers.
(7) Early Termination Fee: None if cancelled in the first 30 days, but up to $35 restocking fee may apply to equipment returns; thereafter up to $150. Some agents impose add'l fees. Sales tax calculated based on price of unactivated equipment.
(8) AT&T Navigator – Separate Subscription required.
(9) International Roaming: Requires compatible device. Avail, quality of coverage & svcs while roaming are not guaranteed. See wireless.att.com/global for updated countries, rates, charges & full terms & conditions.
(10) AT&T Promotion Card: Price before AT&T Promotion Card & with 2-year contract and $20 a month messaging or combination of messaging/data plan is $79.99. Allow 60 days for fulfillment. Card may be used only in the U.S. is valid for 120 days after issuance date but is not redeemable for cash & cannot be used for cash withdrawal at ATMs or automated gasoline pumps. Card request must be postmarked by December 6, 2010 & you must be a customer for 30 consecutive days to receive card.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.