* 57 cents in diluted earnings per share (EPS), compared with a loss of 42 cents per share and adjusted EPS (non-GAAP) of 51 cents in 2Q 2010.
* 6.6 percent year-over-year increase in service revenues in 2Q 2011; data revenues up 22.2 percent; 27.1 percent operating income margin and 45.4 percent Segment EBITDA margin on service revenues (non-GAAP).
* 2.2 million net additions, excluding acquisitions and adjustments, includes 1.3 million retail postpaid net customer additions; 106.3 million total connections, includes 89.7 million retail customers.
* Retail postpaid churn of 0.89 percent, the lowest in three years.
Verizon Wireless Delivers Another Strong Quarter
Verizon Wireless delivered strong growth in revenues, retail customers and other connections, driven by increased smartphone penetration and increased retail postpaid ARPU (average monthly service revenue per user). In the second quarter of 2011:
Wireless Financial Highlights
* Service revenues in the quarter totaled $14.7 billion, up 6.6 percent year over year. Data revenues were $5.8 billion, up $1.1 billion or 22.2 percent year over year, and represent 39.5 percent of all service revenues. Total revenues were $17.3 billion, up 10.2 percent year over year.
* Retail postpaid ARPU grew 1.9 percent or $1.00 over second-quarter 2010, to $54.12. Retail postpaid data ARPU increased to $21.26, up 15.2 percent year over year. Retail service ARPU also grew 1.9 percent, to $52.49.
* Wireless operating income margin was 27.1 percent. Segment EBITDA margin on service revenues (non-GAAP) was 45.4 percent.
Wireless Operational Highlights
* Verizon Wireless added 2.2 million total connections, including 1.3 million retail postpaid customers, and 890,000 wholesale and other connections. These additions exclude acquisitions and adjustments.
* At the end of the second quarter, the company had 106.3 million total connections, an increase of 6.6 percent year over year, including 89.7 million retail customers and 16.6 million wholesale and other connections.
* At the end of the second quarter, smartphones were 36 percent of Verizon Wireless' retail postpaid customer phone base, up from 32 percent at the end of first-quarter 2011.
* Retail postpaid churn was 0.89 percent, the lowest in the industry and the company's lowest since second-quarter 2008. Total retail churn was 1.22 percent, an improvement of 9 basis points year over year and 11 basis points sequentially.
* Verizon Wireless continued to roll out its 4G LTE mobile broadband network during the quarter. As of yesterday (July 21), Verizon Wireless 4G LTE service is available in 102 markets across the country, covering a population of more than 160 million. By year-end, Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network, the fastest and most advanced LTE network in the U.S., is expected to be available in more than 175 markets across the country, covering a population of more than 185 million.
* The company introduced three new 4G LTE devices: the Droid Charge by Samsung, Revolution by LG and the MiFi 4510L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot by Novatel Wireless. The company also announced that the 4G LTE-enabled Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is available for pre-order; the device is expected to launch by the end of this month. During the second-quarter 2011, Verizon Wireless sold 1.2 million 4G LTE smartphones and Internet data devices.
* Verizon Wireless continued to invest in and enhance its 3G network, the nation's largest and most reliable 3G network.
* During the quarter, Verizon Wireless deployed crisis response teams to help customers stay connected in areas devastated by disasters including the North Dakota floods, Arizona wildfires and Joplin, Mo., tornado.